Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: de-restrictin the airbox! pain in the arse!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Angry de-restrictin the airbox! pain in the arse!

well as owning a little 1.4, as they say 'every little helps'. So the other day, after reading the how-to-do guide on here, i printed it off, set off with a small screwdriver and took off my whole airbox!

well when i took the top of the airbox off, i found it impossible to push the two sides in for it to pop out. Even got the mother involved, pinned the ****er to the floor and even both of us cudnt remove it, so i gave up for the time being.

Next, there is me trying to removedthe big tube in the bottom of the airbox, push firmly with a screwdriver i believe the guide says. There was me, pushing so hard with the biggest screwdriver i could find and it wouldnt budge!

anyone else had this problem? or any tips or tricks on getting it out a bit easier, and does it really make much of a difference on its own, or if i bought the k&n filter for it?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    for the pipe in the top half i got a big pipe wrench like this

and used it to squash the pipe moving the tabs inwards then push it out

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hair dryer (not mine my sisters lol) but don't burn your fingers as the plastic does get hot! If you in the Leeds/Bradford area then just PM me and I'll come help ya out

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I did mine just after a full service so not sure what made more difference! I found that the pipe you are supposed to squeeze is easier to remove if you place the part of the pipe inside the box onto something hard and upright (ooh err!) like a gate post and give the box a good hard bash downwards pushing the pipe out of the box.

For the other one I twisted a large flat bladed screwdriver around in the little lug bit then rested the blade on the pipe end at the outside of the box and bashed it down with a hammer. That may not make sense though!

I do think it made a reasonable difference to how well it revs now, the car seems that bit keener to accelerate. Nothing blistering but given my car is a 1.6 16v I wasn't expecting anything more! Also have a K&N panel filter to drop in once I sort insurance (I do advise you to declare the mods!) alongside a Vectra intake pipe and a Cybox catback exhaust with centre silencer. Should see something around 10bhp more I am hoping without a remap.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    first one i did took about 20 mins of swearing and cutting my hands....second and third took less than 5 minutes and were very very easy,

if you get the pipes in the right place they come out ok but i think some boxes are harder than others,

as above i just grabed the pipes with something like that and just pull, soon come out,
    Drives - 08 Astra SRi XP 1.9CDTi 150

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    will give some of these ideas a go, as soon as my car stops being a giant snow ball!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I used a mallet for one of the pipes, just wouldn't budge, took about 20 minutes to try and free it but less than a minute with a hammer
    Number 365 VXR

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I took a hammer to the one in the top part of the box, two hits and it came out. The bottom pipe I pushed it halfway out with a screwdriver then the hammer came out again and I kept the screwdriver pushing against the pipe and just bashed it out, took 10 mins max
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffoeg View Post
    It has happened in the past , but I do try to be discrete but a 'poo with a view' is one of life's simple pleasures IMO
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    i have owned two fannys that have blown smoke

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I used an oil filter removal tool (crab style plyers) i did find it a pain tho

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i used a stanley knife to round the edge off then just pushed it through.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast