Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Del Sol vs Crystal Rock (56k xxx)

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Del Sol vs Crystal Rock (56k xxx)

Not a vauxhall but i loved this car so banged it up...

Well following on from the highly succesfull first thread on Crystal Rock on the 997 carrera s where World Peace was finally resolved and controversy was never mentioned i decided to ring my mate Alex up and ask him for his car for the day......
    He has a 15 year old Del Sol that is slammed to the floor and has a 1.8 litre engine transplant in which revs to just over 10,000 rpm.
    The car i knew was never gonna win any awards because the condition of the paintwork is quite bad as he self admits he never takes any care of it and correction was gonna be fun i knew from the start.....
    So me mate has got a new wax and im gonna try it , its £500 a pop and in my eyes its ok and i like it but ill let you all scrap it out in the virtual boxing ring with what you think...:wall:
    No images were edited or tampered in any way....Photoshop was not used and i pointed the camera and clicked , no settings were adjusted other than iso to try and stop the photos being too dark in certain situation and i manually focused on some to try and attempt to collect scratches in the viewfinder.....Hope thats ok...
    So Alex dropped the car round at 5.15am on his way back from a club and left it outside for me and he got a lift home with his better half...

I didnt get too many wash routine pics etc but car washed in maxi suds and 2 bucket methos...Wheels cleaned with p21,s wheel gel and usual brushes used.....Tar removed with auto glym tar and glue remover and buds used inside the centre caps to try and clean out the gunk in there...Centre caps then washed out and swissvax brush used to get in deep as it is quite intricate in there....Finally washed and foamed and clayed before being dryed with last touch and miracle drying towel....

Car then put in garage although the front end did rub slightly on drive it is so low....

The paintwork was then taped up and inspected....The car was reading from 110 microns to 450 in places and i think the car has been resprayed many times in various places so i think if i went to heavy handed with the makita the car may look like a gobstopper after sucking for half an hour...
    The paintwork is badly scratched and swirled to buggery so swirls wouldnt be a problem but scratches would..

Now the roof was particularly bad so i decided to test the roof first and used 3.02 with a sonus fx1 pad which worked ok but in the end i used fast cut plus and refined with ff.

And 50/50 shots...

WITH FLASH

This car although a beautiful colour and looking nice from the start photos possessed a real milky apperance and the colour was changeing dramatically really darkening up and bringing out the flake unbelieveably...
    Correction work on front wing using 3m black top fine compound
    50/50

50/50 on bonnet

6 hours and roof , bonnet and full side finished

3 hours more and other lower side finished and car then waxed no pre cleanse just qd..

The wax took about 15 minutes to cure and then buffed off...

The first thing i notice about this wax is the depth it gives which is a property i like in any wax especially on this kind of colour...

Wheels also waxed

Car then 303 aerospaced , glass cleaned , exhaust cleaned , black wowed where appropriate , and quick detailed and buffed which is so important i think...
    FINAL RESULTS

Heavenly Paintwork is simply Heaven Itself.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    awsome work mark mate i might make a trip up in the future to se how well you coule get my car looking
    astra coupe bertone on 18" pro race 1.2s now on coilovers

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You are are a god! Awesome Job!

Status
    Bit busy... be back soon!
    Drives
    Astra Coupe 2.2
    Mentioned in
    133 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    Follow AndyH On Twitter Add AndyH on Facebook Add AndyH on Google+
    Nice work as always Marc

Hope your mate said thank you!!
    Actively proving that post counts mean jack sh*t since 1971

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Fantastic work as ever marc, loving that Crystal Rock, bit it's a bit out of my price bracket

Car looks stunnung, my mrs loves it. I bet it makes a lovely sound
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Looks fantastic man, as always!
    Skoda Fabia vRS

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hang on! where's the pizza?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No time today kav...I was on my own and the car was hard hard work...11 hours total.
    Heavenly Paintwork is simply Heaven Itself.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    WoW what a great job as always been looking through alot of your work on here recently-Very very good at what you do! mine could do with a detail from you as it has a fair few swirl marks on plus you live down the road (bonus)

cheers
    Astra Mk4 GSi