Thread: Please help! Engine light 1.7cdti sxi

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy Please help! Engine light 1.7cdti sxi

Hi - first post! My Astra is a 3 year old 1.7cdti sxi, the MK5. Lovely car and nearly 50mpg.
    No problems with it until today and it's possible I have caused this one but don't know what to look for. Everything obvious like plugs and wires I have checked and checked again and I don't have a code reader yet.
    It's Sunday tomorrow, everywhere is shut and I'm about to cry!

I changed the air filter today for a new one. Simple changeover, lifted the air box lid, removed the old one, give the box a bit of a hoovering to get shut of all the muck and put the new one in. I didn't unplug any connectors.

I went for a drive and did a bit of town driving, then 70 down a dual carriageway, then back to 30mph. Within a few mins of going back to 30 the spanner/engine light come on. I stopped the car, but when I switched the engine back on the light was off and remained off during driving.

Earlier tonight I was out again and driving at 30/40 nothing happened. After taking the car at 70 and slowing to 30 again the light was on within minutes.

I've never had this before today. No other lights come on and there is enough oil and water. No black smoke, strange noises or even usage of oil. The car has 24,500miles on it and serviced from new.

Is there anything really obvious it could be? There is a plastic piece of pipe with a connector about 4inches along the rubber hose on the outlet of the air filter housing. Could it be whatever is inside that?

I can see a major ECU problem and bank loan coming on.

x100

Geoff.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff2 View Post
    Hi - first post! My Astra is a 3 year old 1.7cdti sxi, the MK5. Lovely car and nearly 50mpg.
    No problems with it until today and it's possible I have caused this one but don't know what to look for. Everything obvious like plugs and wires I have checked and checked again and I don't have a code reader yet.
    It's Sunday tomorrow, everywhere is shut and I'm about to cry!

I changed the air filter today for a new one. Simple changeover, lifted the air box lid, removed the old one, give the box a bit of a hoovering to get shut of all the muck and put the new one in. I didn't unplug any connectors.

I went for a drive and did a bit of town driving, then 70 down a dual carriageway, then back to 30mph. Within a few mins of going back to 30 the spanner/engine light come on. I stopped the car, but when I switched the engine back on the light was off and remained off during driving.

Earlier tonight I was out again and driving at 30/40 nothing happened. After taking the car at 70 and slowing to 30 again the light was on within minutes.

I've never had this before today. No other lights come on and there is enough oil and water. No black smoke, strange noises or even usage of oil. The car has 24,500miles on it and serviced from new.

Is there anything really obvious it could be? There is a plastic piece of pipe with a connector about 4inches along the rubber hose on the outlet of the air filter housing. Could it be whatever is inside that?

I can see a major ECU problem and bank loan coming on.

x100

Geoff.
    Hi ya Geoff,
    welcome to the club and sorry no one replied to your 1st post, i don't want you thinking this is a rubbish club.
    The book quotes if it lights up when the vehicle is running theres a fault with the engine electronics or transmission system, which is obvious and doesn't really mean anything anyway.
    I have posted this reply and hopefully someone will come up with the right answers for you.
    Once again welcome to the club and i hope you get it sorted.

Dave

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Dave, from what I have been reading about, it could be a MAF sensor or EGR. I'm going to do another Google and see what else I find.
    Hopefully it will get sorted soon.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    UPDATE! The problem isn't related to road speed, but engine speed. I can drive under 3000rpm and accelerate up to that all day if I go easy. If I sit in neutral and rev the engine to 4000rpm or 4500rpm the light will come on.
    Does that give any more of a clue. The garage I am going to use (Vauxcare Wirral) are going to read the codes in a few days.
    I'm tempted to go out and buy the MAF sensor and see if
    the problem continues.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Geoff,
    aren't you in the AA or Rac, if you are call them out they will read the codes for you and it won't cost you anything.
    You could change the MAF yourself its not hard but if its the EGR valve it is harder to fit.
    This might interest everyone, Vauxhall is having such a big problem with faulty EGR valves, that they are on back order from the factory with no arrival dates. Vauxhall have had customers cars waiting for weeks, they have tried removing, cleaning and refitting the valves only for the problem return within days, so the new valves should hopefully be updated.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfivebmw View Post
    Hi Geoff,
    aren't you in the AA or Rac, if you are call them out they will read the codes for you and it won't cost you anything.
    You could change the MAF yourself its not hard but if its the EGR valve it is harder to fit.
    This might interest everyone, Vauxhall is having such a big problem with faulty EGR valves, that they are on back order from the factory with no arrival dates. Vauxhall have had customers cars waiting for weeks, they have tried removing, cleaning and refitting the valves only for the problem return within days, so the new valves should hopefully be updated.
    I never even thought of doing that! I might just give it a try. I phoned Lookers today out of interest to find out how much a MAF sensor is. I nearly had a heart attack!
    £200.93 inc VAT to supply.
    This type of fault seems to be a major problem from what I am reading on this forum.
    I'll have a Google for the EGR valve and see where it is and how easy it is to get at.