Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: X18XE1 erratic revs only at start-up!?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Z18XE erratic revs only at start-up!?

NOTE: MY ENGINE IS DEF A Z18XE!

Hello, if anyone can give me a bit of advice, I'd be more than grateful!!! I'm pretty cak when it comes to motors though so pls be kind.

I've got a 52 1.8 Sxi Z18XE. Over the last couple of days, when starting the engine from cold, it's idle revs are erratic as hell, sometimes stalling then back up to 800. I can put my foot down in 1st and I'll very gently kangaroo as the engine tries to sort itself out then suddenly it'll rev ok. For 1-2 mins driving I've gotta be careful at junctions but after that (engine nice n'warm), everything thing seems back to normal although there does feel like a overall drop in power (went up a tiny gradient in 3rd today and actually started losing speed...)

As a note, I've just embarked on my first mod and 3 weeks ago de-restricted the airbox (veccy induction pipe to be when I get 5), could I have done something daft when de-restricting?? I've checked the airbox is back where it should be but could I have just knocked off a sensor from somewhere? Changed the bulbs to xenons too, could I have knocked anything vital here?

I've read it could be the throttle body or EGR, just weird how it's only on a cold engine; the overall power-loss is a worry too!

Cheers chaps.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just a quick update that i've just cleaned the throttle body as best as I could without removing it and still no joy...!?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Another update, just been for a spin and my car will not exceed 90mph (was obv in 5th). Revs wouldn't climb any further and then on a very very mild gradient (literally about one degree off horizontal), I went down to 85!!!

Please people, someone must have an idea!?

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Idle thing sounds more like idle control valve (right terminology?)?

Beyond that I have no clue myself - having done the airbox mod myself last week I can't think of any obvious sensors that could have been knocked off (I have 1.6 16v SXi). Not even sure if there are any major wires around the headlamps either...

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers for the reply mate but the Z18XE doesn't have a ICV. Just had a quick look under the hood (made sure airbox, throttle body is fastened up tight) but it's really doing my head in now. Only has rev problems (stalling and that) for the first 2 minutes of ignition, after that it's <almost> back to normal...

Anyone else had similar probs? Would new sparks maybe help??? If the sparks were knackered, would this cause starting problems AND overall performance drop?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My 2007 1.6sxi has either erratic idle where the rev needle fluctuates around 500rpm and then may either stall or goes to around 1000rpm where it will stay and will see the needle flicker slightly, or the rev needle moves to 500 rpm and hesitates for a milli second before carrying on to 1000rpm.

From the research i have done I think it may possibly be the stepper motor that controls/assists the initial ignition phase.

My car is going into the dealers on Wednesday so they can start the car from cold to see if they find anything. As a backup i have been recording what has been happening so I can show whichever service person i speak to.

Hope this may help.

Rich

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mark, did you ever get this sorted?

The symptoms on mine are pretty much identical to yours - ie, erratic on startup but then settles. I've not done any mods on mine. Have cleaned throttle body, tried new MAF but without any joy.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hmmm if its not throttle body, egr or idle control valve. then i highly suggest you keep an eye on your coolant level and check your oil cap everyday before start up to, see if theres any mayo like sustence.
    annd i've had the same problem and it turned out to be my head gasket.

good way of check it to check the condition of your spark plugs, one of mine were oily and wet the rest were fine it started of as a slow leak then a month later found that my head gasket had gone.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    All astras do it, it helps warming up
    Nürburgring BTG 9:52
    Roll on october trip

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm not so bothered about it revving high then dropping to normal, it's when it drops to a couple of hundred revs then stalls that it gets a bit worrying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast