Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

A Smart Solution

Hi Guys

a girl at work has got herself a little smart fortwo its had a lot of barbus goodies added to it but she is wanting some new alloys so heres the questions

whats the maximum width that you can fit to on of these?
    will 7J wheels be to wide?

as standard the fronts are narrower than the rear so will it be happy having equal width wheels front and rear?

as they are three stud hubs there isn't as much choice but is it possble to get 5 stud alloys to fit? not by changing the hubs but by leaving two studs out? sounds strange but in my mind it should work, or would an adaptor be required?

what is the PCD and offsets?

what if any suspension mods are available?

finally are there any good smart car forums around that she could sign up to?

cheers in advanced

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    whats the maximum width that you can fit to on of these?not to sure but no more than an inch wider than the standard ones. If fact I think the Brabus ones are the widest you can fit. Mercedes/SMARt has accessory alloys and there are a few styles about by Brabus and one or two other tuners. There are quite a few shops in the UK that can advise on what is available e.g: http://www.smartsrus.com/

will 7J wheels be to wide? no 17x7.5J is the widest you can go, without new arches

as standard the fronts are narrower than the rear so will it be happy having equal width wheels front and rear? Not really advisable but I suppose it depends on the alloy you fit. Check with a shop like smarts-r-us.

as they are three stud hubs there isn't as much choice but is it possble to get 5 stud alloys to fit? not by changing the hubs but by leaving two studs out? sounds strange but in my mind it should work, or would an adaptor be required? I would say no unless using an adapter.

what is the PCD and offsets? Would need to check for you

what if any suspension mods are available? Brabus and I think Bilstein make susponsion setups

finally are there any good smart car forums around that she could sign up to? Their are a few about, which google will find, I would try some and decide which is the best for her. Also some of the Merc forums have a smart section eg: benzworld.org.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I use smartmaniacs.co.uk but a google search will show a few up.

We've got some fairly chunky Khan RSRs on ours in 15", 3 stud format. I can't recall the sizes off hand but the backs certainly use a bigger tyre. So much better than the skinny bike wheels they have as standard. It's virtually impossible to get it to step out of line, I think it would topple over first

Suspenstion wise ours is standard, there is plenty out there iirc but the ride isn't very forgiving as standard so I don't fancy making it worse.
    Previous Astras: 1994 Cesaro 1.8 16v | 2002 SXi 1.6 16v | 2001 Coupé 2.0 Turbo | 1999 LS 1.6 16v
    Other Vauxhalls: 2001 Vectra 1.8 16v| 2003 Vectra GSi 3.2 V6 | 2005 Signum CDTi 150

Status
    Going Topless!
    Drives
    Astra 1.8 Twintop, Lotus Carlton, Meriva VXR and Nova
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A5TRA 59ORT View Post
    is it possble to get 5 stud alloys to fit? not by changing the hubs but by leaving two studs out? sounds strange but in my mind it should work, or would an adaptor be required?
    Nope, only one bolt will fit, then the other two wouldn't line up.

360 degs / 3 stud = 120degs between each hole

360 degs / 5 stud = 72degs betwwen each hole