Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Engine conversion dilemma concerning MK4 1.6

Hey guys,

it's a pretty simple problem - well I'm going to make it as simple as possible anyway and this is it:

I currently drive a MK4 1.6 LS as it was a sensible first car etc etc.

Now I can afford a more powerful car I was fairly intent on getting a 1999-2001 reg Vectra SRi (140/150bhp) as these seem reasonable and more affordable compared to the same age and power Astra, even though they are bigger!

So I intended to sell my Astra for around 900, then spend 900 (totalling £1800) on a half decent SRi, but then I was thinking today about conversion...

So...is it advisable/viable to spend £900-£1000 upgrading and converting an LS to a performance level similar to that of a Veccy SRi - or do I sell and buy a Veccy SRi?

OR...do I buy another recommended car that provides similar performance?

Before you ask - I can't really afford to insure anything more than around 150-180BHP due to insurance I think.

If this needs moving to Car chit chat/Naturally Aspirated models please do so, I wasn't sure, as the thread does ask a few things

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    Nashy you need to factor in alot of work if your to keep your astra and do an engine conversion.
    First you've got to buy your engine and gearbox
    Second upgrade the suspension (springs/shocks)
    Then upgrade the brakes (drums to disc 256-308's)
    Then the actual conversion cost itself.
    Then insurance money.

To be honest I think your better off selling your astra and buying the vectra I'd hate to say.

jam
    Its a jam thing

Haec credam a deo pio, a deo justo, a deo scito?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs Up ls

1.8 Sri mk4 with irmischer kit mate have a look around...

Vectra B sri150 2198cc 145bhp 0-60 in 8.5 top speed 135 Insurance group (12)

Astra mk4 1.8 sri 123bhp 0-60 8.5 top speed 127 Insurance group 8

Personaly i would sell up and get the 1.8 sri its all round better.
    M4RK2.2SRI

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Vec B sri isnt worth the steam of your piss mate, they aint that quick)
    Buy a vectra B gsi a star silver one infact hatch back with 18"s and big brakes, low millage and full service history.

I here you say I need one in the midlands. Funny enough I know were one is located wink wink say no more

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    A vectra B is a step backwards imo. Going from an Astra G to a Vectra B is like going back a decade in respect to the drive, interior, build, reliability.

The GSi is nice, but that's it.
    Previous Astras: 1994 Cesaro 1.8 16v | 2002 SXi 1.6 16v | 2001 Coupé 2.0 Turbo | 1999 LS 1.6 16v
    Other Vauxhalls: 2001 Vectra 1.8 16v| 2003 Vectra GSi 3.2 V6 | 2005 Signum CDTi 150

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the info guys. Muchos appreciated.

OK conversion - forgotten about in that case - cheers Jam, it was an off the wall thought.

Didn't realise the Veccys are so bad! I'm not the biggest fan of their aesthetics due to the chav status they hold although I would probably keep it relatively standard with mainly performance mods.

The GSi models are nice (especially at around £2000 for conversions of SRi models with V6 lumps in, and £2500-£3000 for standard GSi) buuuut insurance! I'm only 20 this week.

Brett you selling one hey?

I would love to keep the astra/have another astra, but they are quite a lot more expensive than Vectras! And I can't spend much at the moment, but want a fun performancey car for the 'summer'.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    Nashy, there is a reason why the Astra has held its money better than a Vectra I have drive both and to be honest my Astra although under powered compared with the 2.0L Vectra wipes the floor with it. Comfort, enjoyment, ride quality and build quality (sorry Brett), but its just the way I feel.

Nashy I'm not sure what to advise Keep your car and build up some no claims by the time you've done that Astra Coupe Turbos should of come down some more so you'll get 200bhp as standard and also have a nice car. Or get rid now and get a 1.8 Astra or even a 2.0L Astra X20XEV engine.
    Its a jam thing

Haec credam a deo pio, a deo justo, a deo scito?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Jam.

Nah I'm not waiting much longer - I want to get something more powerful ASAP as I'm a petrol head. Over 2 years of this 1.6 LS mcluvin' has been enough for me. Great car - but enough now.

Will just have to keep looking around and ultimately test drive a vectra to decide myself (obviously) but I am surprised by the cut views on the two cars - I thought they'd be very similar and I don't understand the step backwards bit in going to a Veccy B? They have TC, steering controls, on board computer, ABS etc etc....my Astra has...none of that!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Dont Do It

my mate got Veccy and is slower than my dog with only 2 legs my Sxi twinport smokes it!!!
    Mond

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I have owned both and the vectra isnt as bad as you think and the mk4 astra build quality is pretty much the same as each other. The ride imo is better than the astra, handling isnt. I wouldnt say its a step backwards. its more of case of not moving any were forward.

The vectra is a typical vauxhall imo the same as the mk4 is. Theres so little difference between the two as I have found.

And of cause your sxi will beat the vectra mate the vectra is twice its bloody weight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast