Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Blue Smoke

Hello people.
    Right. Got a problem. Not only am i loosing oil but theres now blue somoke out me exhaust. Ive read up on this and apparantly when the turbo is on its way out it can draw more oil into the turbo and therefore burn it off threw the exhaust hence the blue smoke.. is this right?

Plus my car is on 48,560 miles now and also read that the turbos on the astra sri tend to go at around 5ok? Im putting 2 and 2 2gether here, , , is it safe to assume that he turbos on its way out?

If so i know the vxr turbo costs around £500 but wouldnt i have to uprate alot of stuff?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayjaycm View Post
    Hello people.
    Right. Got a problem. Not only am i loosing oil but theres now blue somoke out me exhaust. Ive read up on this and apparantly when the turbo is on its way out it can draw more oil into the turbo and therefore burn it off threw the exhaust hence the blue smoke.. is this right?

Plus my car is on 48,560 miles now and also read that the turbos on the astra sri tend to go at around 5ok? Im putting 2 and 2 2gether here, , , is it safe to assume that he turbos on its way out?

If so i know the vxr turbo costs around £500 but wouldnt i have to uprate alot of stuff?
    Yep sounds like its on its way mate. If you go courtenays they will put a 12 month warranty on it as well. Or theres a few on ebay at the mo.
    HTH
    PHASE 3 ON A SWITCH WIV A GARRETT

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mine smokes on tick over sometimes, i started mine up yesterday after giving it abit of death earlier on and some smoke came out. Im on 70k so my turbo has done well lasting this long, VXR is in the pipeline.

I used 4 litres of oil in 3 weeks! Sounds pretty shagged to me lol
    400+ bhp Astra SRI Turbo
    mpg

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeah definatley the turbo on its way out from the sounds of it loads of people have put this up on here with the same symptoms. ive just had mine replaced with vxr turbo not so long back, and i had same probs i.e guzzling oil and smoking like hell. it had 50k on it when it went. its been running fine since!!
    ...IVE GOT ALZHEIMERS BUT AT LEAST I HAVEN'T GOT ALZHEIMERS...

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Another yes from me. Dying turbo! It depends how you use the car and treat the turbo for how long they will last. But 50-60k is about normal i'd say. The oil could be burning through the exhaust or it could be be leaking into the compressor side and then into the cylinders. When you change the turbo, give the intercooler a look over and a bit of a clean coz if there is too much oil in the cooler you could suffer from heat soak.
    Astra Coupe Turbo - *LawtoSport Stage 3*

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

hi

Thanks guys.

Anyone know how much I would be looking at for a new turbo?

thanks

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    you already said, around £500 depending on where you shop. Courtenays charge around £300 for fitting which includes fresh oil (5w-40 valvoline) and a new gm filter.