Status
    Soft Top VTEC :)
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Uprating interior/dash bulbs

Evening all

I've just changed my heater control lights, as the old ones were gone, I opted for 2.4w ones instead of 1.2w and they're very bright now compared to other dials and I like it

I was thinking of doing the same to the other bulbs inside of my car

Will this cause any fuses to pop?

Also whilst I'm here, a lot of people do LED conversions, where can you get the LED's from? does it involve butchering any wiring at all or are they the same connections?

Thanks in advance
    FULL Black Leather Heated coupe interior for sale! £200!!!
    Click Here

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    think you need to have a word with oddjob mate he can sort l.e.d's out or do some work for ya

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Another 1.2w isn't going to cause any problems.

The problem you will face is finding some of the current bulbs in a higher wattage, the headlight switch one in particular can be found but they aren't cheap and finding someone to sell you just one can be a problem.

Plus the headlight switch uses 2 methods to light up, ones an LED the other the aforementioned bulb, fitting a higher wattage one may outshine the LED giving you a 2 tone look.

I sell the LEDs, either in loose form or as ready made plug and play LED mounted in holders. Unfortunately the Astra isn't the ideal car to mod in this respect as Vx in their infinite wisdom decided to change the spec of the units halfway through the production run. The later models came with yellow diffusers fitted and white bulbs, the early ones had yellow bulbs with white diffusers. Converting an early one is ok, just choose any colour and it works, the later ones don't take well to this. Some of the diffusers are removeable but the heater one isn't I'm afraid. The changeover occured around 2001, a quick way of checking if you have the dreaded yellow diffusers is to pull off a heater button, not a knob, a button. Just grab it and pull hard and it will pop off. Hold it up to the light and if the symbol appears white from the inside then your ok, if it looks yellow you have the diffusers.

The ONLY solution to the heater one is to source a front panel off a pre 2001. You only need the front panel and knobs etc not the whole unit. There are 2 types of heater units but both front panels are interchangeable.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.