Thread: Sludge on engine cap & top of engine.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sludge on engine cap & top of engine.

Hi all,
    Just noticed when checking the oil level today that i noticed a little bit of creamy white sludge on the dip stick, after opening the engine cap for further investigation, the cap was covered in creamy white sludge & so was the top of the engine, i dont know whether a gasket is going? on evidence of this has any one got a clue what is causing this, may it be a gasket or not?, would this be a quick fix for a diy mechanic or would it have to go to the garage? if anyone does know could they quote a price so i know how much this would be.
    Many thanks for any replys.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Like a Mayo sort of substance? seems to be a regular occurunce tbh, people just clean it up and put it back.

On my ex's peugeot when i took the rocker cover off the whole lid was full of it, just a bit of solvent cleaner to get it all off not a problem.
    Vectra GSi SeatsHella Headlights
    17" alloysPiper 3" rolled exhaust
    GSi Bumper & skirts
    Dropped on Coilovers

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yes it is like a mayo substance, (but i wouldnt like to put it in a sandwiche) ha ha, Anyway, i did clear off what i could, is it a big job to take the rocker cover off if thats what it is? also as it is like this would this harm the engine in anyway.
    Thanks.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    take it for a good run, if you do short runs then this will build up as the engine doesnt have time to heat up properly, and a oil change would probably help
    ARDEN BLUE GSI

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Am going away in the next few days so it will have a good run then, only had an oil change last year as i took it to a garage for an oil leak & they replaced the sump pan gasket & done the oil change then.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    dont worry mate - youve got the 1.6 8v engine and the poorly designed crankcase breather combined with the not so sunny british weather and short trips all together contribute to the mayo substance.

the crankcase breather is so badly designed that theres insufficient venting to allow the moisture to escape - as already said just give it a good run at least once a week if u can.

whip off the rocker cover - its a piece of piss on that engine - clean out all the gunk, dump the oil, fresh oil & filter and clean all the rocker cover and breather pipes. jobs a good un - oil & filter can be had for less than £20 - and the entire process can be done in less than an hour

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Would i have to replace the rocker cover gasket when i take the rocker cover off, also whats the best type of oil to get, many thanks for all your replys, they have been a great help.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    wouldnt bother replacing the gasket in all honesty - especially as youll find u keep repeating this procedure once a year...

Its only a thin rubber gasket that fits in the channel of the rocker cover so just inspect if for wear etc.

Standard 10w40 oil is best - I sometimes run 15w40 due to the ancient design of this particular engine and the fact I pay £20 for 25L of the stuff.

10w40 is the recommended grade so best off with this.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    if you take it for a good run you might get away with just changing the oil, if it was a year ago it die again anyway
    ARDEN BLUE GSI