Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy PAS not working on '99 1.7TD

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum as I've just bought a 1999 Astra 1.7TD. Picked it up cheap due to no MOT/Tax and a Power Steering problem.

I've spent the last week looking through diferent Forums and a billion posts on power steering issues so first off, I apologise for the necessity to bring up yet again.

There doesn't seem to be any leaks from the PAS pump or fluid housing nor from the steering rack.

The ABS/PAS fuse (No. 23 under dash) is fine and ABS dash light illuminates and turns off as it should after a few seconds.
    Is there another fuse in the engine bay that the PAS uses that I should check?

The alternator is 100% and the car has a brand new heavy duty battery.

Ok, my need is this I've ascertained that my car has the Delphi pump and understand there is a wiring loom for supply and earth which I think is the next step for elimination but I kind of need a point in the right direction. Is it possible to use a multimeter to check the wiring for a supply & if so, what voltage should I be reading? This should eliminate pretty much everything leaving the fault cause to be the pump or rack if I am correct?

p.s. If anyone has a picture or a link to a picture of the wiring and where the suplly goes to and where the earth goes it would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just thought I'd add a picture or 2.. The car I just bought and the power steering pump..

This morning I removed the black circuit protection cover ^^ (R.H.S. of the filler neck) and the circuit board must have gotten some fluid that splashed onto it from overfilling or spilling I'd presume.. that seems to have corroded the circuit in places so, as I used to work in electronics, (not autoelectrics) I will try to get my hands on the socket type to remove the two bolts holding it and the wiring loom in place, see if I can repair the circuit, all without removing the pump. If it is the actual problem then I'll be one happy chap! either that or looks like I'll be buying a pump from the closest breakers.. I'll take a pic of the circuit-board when I get a chance to hopefully show what I mean.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

possible corrosion

The P.C.B is held in place with 2 odd headed boltson the wiring loom bracket.. I need to get a socket that fits to be able to remove the circuit for a closer inspection.. if not the I think I'll just whip out the pump complete in the next few days.. I checked with the multimeter and the supply voltage is there (14.3v, pre-circuit board) so I think it's safe to say it's the pump at this stage.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Pump replacement time

Ok, I gave up on the idea of tryin to remove the circuit board without taking out the pump, it would be possible but not exactly feasible

I went out and collected a replacement pump, a few dash buttons, headlight bulbs and fuses (for spares) from a breakers yard across town.. £40 all in, not bad from what I have seen dotted abt in other threads as far as pricing goes (as long as it works when fitted!).

Looks like a hell of a job to remove the old one, I have a mate callin down in the next few days to see abt helping me, he knows a lot more abt cars than I do, so maybe he can think of the easiest way to get the job done. If not, I'll probably pay the labour costs to a local mechanic.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ignore the haynes and other publications which suggest removing the subframe to facilitate pump removal.

remove front left wheel when supported on stands and remove the nuts/bolts holding the pump to the steering gear. you should be able to feed the pump thru the gap in the engine bay and up through the top.

remember to of course pull off the hose clip and drain the fluid before lifting it free - remove the fuse and the earth strap too.... u could connect the salvage pump to a 12v source off the car to see if it works before attempting the removal process.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Tested the pump tonight after dinner, works fine.

Thanks for the tips, I'll have a stab at it tomorrow.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry for the long delay in keeping ppl notified of results.

I got the pump fitted (eventually) after a long hard struggle Damn Vauxhall/Opel for fitting the bull-ring type circlip on the mounting and giving no room for simple removal and replacement via the top of the engine bay PAS is now operational but it didnt stop it failing MOT on pitted brake pipes that I've to replace now <sigh>

Anyways, enough of my ramble and thanks for the reply GeordieBandit