Thread: Calling all "clean freaks"

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Calling all "clean freaks"

I'm quite a car clean freak like to keep my car in a very clean state all the time, but i only get to wash my baby once a week!
    The thing is the products i use on my car are not really to a high quality. Im wanting to get my car a really good "Birthday" (a good old) clean and try and keep to a high standard like once a month sort of thing! i'm getting alot of swirls in the paint/laccour now which is miffing me off.
    Has any1 got a good step-by-step with products and pricing on how to get my car blinging, Inside and Out! (BTW i main use maguires stuff and some autoglim)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I haven't attempted cleaning mine yet (only had it 24 hours) but I've done my shopping. Here's what I bought:
    • Meguiars Microfiber Wash Mitt
    • Meguiars Supreme Shine Microfiber Towels
    • Meguiars Ultra Plush Super Terry
    • Autoglym Perfect Polishing Cloth
    • Meguiars NXT Generation Car Wash
    • Meguiars Smooth Surface Clay Kit
    • Meguiars Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner (Step 1)
    • Meguiars Deep Crystal Polish (Step 2)
    • Meguiars Deep Crystal Carnauba Wax (Step 3
    That list cost me £80 at halfords (thanks to a 3for2 offer). I going back today so I can buy the sealant, some T-Cut and some interior cleaner. THose three are Autoglym products.

Don't know if that's any help, as they're the makes you mentioned also. A lot of people swear by Poorboy's, but as I say, this is my first detailing experience so I've never tried anything yet myself.

Oh, and head here for an excellent tutorial on how to detail: http://www.astraownersclub.com/documents/technical/detail.pdf

Good Luck

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    I'm no god by any stetch of the imagination so I tell you what I do and use...

Chemical guys orange wash mixed with warm water into a bucket.
    Mix up a stronger formula of the above into a sprayer. Spray the alloy wheels and arches.
    Wash using the pre made bucket using halfords alloy brush and 'fat basher cleaning brush' for the arches.
    Then once most of the brake dust is off then I use a microfibre wash mitt to clean the alloy.
    Once done dry using a towel or microfibre cloth.
    Clay alloys (only need to do this once ever 6 months or so) using megs QD & megs clay. For uber stubborn marks I use chemical guys grey clay. Very Very Very harsh clay.
    Once happy use collonite 476 to protect the alloys applying using a megs foam applicator. Buffed off after 15 minutes or so using a buffing towl (megs I think).

Use critus wash in sprayer and spray car liberally.
    Once done leave for 4-5 mins. Whilst waiting fill 2 buckets 1 to the top and 1 half full. I add to both megs gold class shampoo. To the full bucket I like plenty of suds so a stronger concentration. To the 1/2 full bucket a much weaker concentration. I soak both of my eurow sheepskin mits in the full bucket.
    Now rinse off of citrus wash (I don't have an outside tap/hose/power washer so I use a watering can).

Now use your 1 of your mitts (make sure you can tell the difference) to wash the top half of the car (above door strip for me). When your ready to redunk your mitt for more water put it into the 1/2 full bucket. I run my fingers through and ring out/try and clean the mitt as much as possible. Then dry it and redunk into the full bucket. As you do this the now dirty bucket (1/2 full one) will start to fill up from water not deposited on the the car whilst the full bucket decreases so make sure you mark the buckets.
    Use the second mitt (one we haven't use) for the lower half of the car alone.

I like to rinse the car at this point and then dry the car using drying towels.

Feel the paintwork to see if it needs claying. If the paintwork feels rough to the touch then yes it may need claying, if it feels smooth then skip this next step.
    Break clay bar into 3 and put all 3 peices into warm water.
    Clay the car using plenty of lube (megs QD) keep turning the clay often you'll have to judge how dirty it gets over how much of your car. If you drop it bin it. Its no good. Luckily we have 2 more waiting for us. Carry on. when clay has gone cold and lifeless then swap over for our 3rd peice of clay and rewarm the second in the warm water. After claying you may want to rewash the car I instead use a microfibre cloth to dry it providing the QD doesn't mark.

I then use Car lack 68 on a microfibre applicator and leave it to cure for 30 mins whilst I do the rest of the car. Buff off using a buffing towel.

Apply collonite 476 using a megs foam applicator leave for 15 mins or so before buffing off.

Apply megs trim restorer to all rubbers and plastics (exterior).

Clean wind screens and glass.

Exterior done. For me anyway. I still need to improve my collection to get it where I want it but I hope that helps?

Read it through again but look at this thread when you do it.
    http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...d.php?t=126681
    Its a jam thing

Haec credam a deo pio, a deo justo, a deo scito?

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    To get yourself decent products, go to www.cleanyourcar.co.uk, and get yourself this little beauty: http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/comple.../prod_188.html

Start off by rinsing all the loose dirt off your car, then fill up your new bucket with grit guard with some warm water and a drop of Body Wash & wax, and wash using the lambswool washmitt (microfibre washmitt's sctratch the paint just as much as sponges do). rise the car again and dry using the large waffleweave towel.

Next, it might be a good idea to clay the car if you've never done it before as this will remove any bonded contaminatnts, I'd recommend using this clay kit: http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/detail...rod_83.html%5D.

Then apply the All In One Polish using one of the Blue Pearl applicators to put it on and one of the microfibre cloths to buff off. Then wax the car with the XXX Hardcore paste wax, again using the other applicator to apply and the ultra plush buffing cloth to buff off after leaving the wax to cure for 10-15mins.

Amraan: Microfibre Wash Mitt's can inflict swirl marks on the paint, take it back and get a lambswool one. Deep Crystal Carnauba Wax (Stage3) will only protect the paint for a couple of weeks as there's more carnauba content on my trainers, get a good solid paste wax to protect the paint. T-Cut is the product of the devil. PLEASE DO NOT HURT YOUR CAR LIKE THAT!!

If you need any further advice, PM myself or vxrmarc, or add me to msn
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    sweet comments guys!!! might sound a stupid question but does claying the car help with the swirls in the paint or how could i cure this problem!

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Claying the car only removes bonded contaminants in the paint (see the Claying Guide for a good explaination). To take swirls out you need to get a good random orbital polisher such as a Porter cable 7424, Ultimate Detailing Machine or a Meguiars G220, and use a cutting compound and pad such as Poorboy's SSR2.5 on a sonus Swirlbuster pad. It's a long progress, but the results are good. Ask in your regional forum if there's someone near your with a machine that can take the swirls out for you for a few cups of teat and some biscuits
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yep waste of time and effort tryin to get rid of swirls and spider webs by hand, people use Autoglym srp which contains filles and helps reduce them but doesnt last very long. Machine polishing is really the only way forward. I use chemical guys products cheaper than meguiars 100 times better and you dont need to use as much! Preperation is the key to a good finish as it will help the sealants, glazes and waxes bond to the paint easier.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Are these applicator pads any good?

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryrn_123044
    Arden Blue Astra VXR

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes mate, I have a few of those.
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra