Thread: Astra MK4 SXI 1.6 - Tapping Noise

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy Astra MK4 SXI 1.6 - Tapping Noise

My timing belt was changed at 37,000 miles now its on 42,000 and I have noticed that once the engine gets warm, a tapping / rattle noise comes from what sounds like under the front/right wheel arch.

Took it back to the garage they claimed that they couldn't hear anything, but once I pin pointed the noise to them which clearly doesn't sound right to me, they claimed that it is the 'inlet manifold' and its nothing to worry about.

How can this be nothing to worry about as I have never heard this noise before and it seems to be getting louder each day.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    life's like a box of chocolates

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi it sounds like the tensioner for the cambelt is rattling on the block ,
    prety common fault have had this a couple of times now , the tensioner and rollers for the cambelt are prety poor to say the least , the tensioner for the Poly-Vee belt (auxilary belt) is just as poor , i had it fail on me it rattled like hell , you noticed it more when you when passing parked cars
    or up a narrow street , Vauxhall kept insisting it was a loose baffel in the exhaust until i got them to remove the belt and run the engine

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Water pump maybe?
    Previous Astras: 1994 Cesaro 1.8 16v | 2002 SXi 1.6 16v | 2001 Coup 2.0 Turbo | 1999 LS 1.6 16v
    Other Vauxhalls: 2001 Vectra 1.8 16v| 2003 Vectra GSi 3.2 V6 | 2005 Signum CDTi 150

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Water pump sounds favourite - was it changed when the belt was?

moved to NA engines

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ive had the same problem as you, it was the Drive belt tensioner pulley i just replaced it and the noise went, my roller had wear on it. or it could be the cambelt tensioner wasnt tensioned correctly and knocking against the water pump, Ive know some people to do that before

Good luck and let us all know what you have found!!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Get it checked out by another gge if you can't do it yourself, quick could damage engine.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

have a look at this.

HI I HAVE A ATRA G 1.6 SXI 16V AND I HAVE A TAPPING SOUND FROM TIMIG AREA. I AM SURE I HAVE ADJUSTED IT INCORRECTLY OR THE CAM BELT TENSIONER IS DAMAGED.READ THE BOTTOM TEXT. DEFFINATLY DONT ACCEPT THIS FROM A GARAGE OR MECHANIC. THE PART COULD FAIL AND DESTROY YOUR ENGINE.

Installation recommendations for timing system on GM 1.4, 1.6, 1.8, 2.0, 2.2 16V engines
    GATES REFERENCE :
    MAKE : MODEL :
    MOTOR : MOTOR CODE :
    IMPORTANT:
    Technical Bulletin 001
    5368XS, 5369XS, 5408XS, 5461XS, 5499XS, 5542XS OPEL / VAUXHALL Astra, Calibra, Combo, Corsa, Cavalier, Frontera, Kadett, Meriva, Omega, Signum, Sintra, Tigra, Vectra, Zafira 1.4, 1.6, 1.8, 2.0, 2.2 16V C14SEL, X14XE, C16SEL, C16XE, X16XE, X16XEL, Y16XE, Z16XE, C18XE, X18XE, X18XEL, Z18XE, Z18XEL, X20XEV, X22SE, X22XE, Y22SE, Y22XE, Z22XE

Only install belt and tensioner when engine is at room temperature. Only rotate engine CLOCKWISE !!! Never re-install a used belt (tensioners are developed for new belts!!!). The ‘USED’ position on the base plate is where the pointer will move towards during the life of the belt. Camshaft- and crankshaft sprockets should not rotate unless the belt is installed and tensioned.
    1.Align Top Dead Centre (TDC) marks. As the same engine used in a different model can have a different belt, we give the TDC marks following belt number here, and not following engine code. 5369XS/5499XS: crankshaft: 5 O’clock, L-cam: 3 O’clock, R-cam: 9 O’clock 5368XS/5408XS/5461XS/5542XS: crankshaft: 6 O’clock, camshafts 12 O’clock. 2. Block camshafts 3.Loosen tensioner bolt 4.Turn tensioner clockwise and remove belt 5.Remove old tensioner 6.Install new tensioner, hand tighten bolt. Tensioner lip has to be in oil pump housing slot. (Tensioner pointer has to sit behind water pump pulley). The Allen keyhole has to be set in +/- 7 O-clock position (fig. 1). 7.Install new belt anti-clockwise starting at crankshaft

8.Turn tensioner (with Allen key) anti-clockwise (while holding the bolt in place)till pointer is in line with (not passing) right hand side of base plate (fig. 2) 9. Tighten tensioner bolt (+/- 20 Nm) 10.Unblock camshaft 11. Turn engine (manually) 2 revolutions via crankshaft (this for proper seating of the Fig. 2 belt teeth in the grooves; and to distribute the tension),till TDC marks align again. If not aligned, restart at step 1. 12.If pointer not in line with V (“NEW” position), bloc camshafts again 13.Loosen tensioner bolt 14.Adjust tensioner (while holding the tensioner bolt in place), till pointer in line with V(NEWposition);theAllen key hole has to be in +/- 5 O-clockpositionnow(fig.3) 15.tensionerbolt(+/-20Tighten Nm) 16.camshaftsUnblock 17.Turnengine2revolutions (via crankshaft), till TDC marks align again 18.interChecktensionerpo position. If correct (in V) Fig. 3 install other removed parts. If notcorrect,dorepeatsteps13to18, till pointer aligns with V.

ATTENTION !!!

Rotating the tensioner in the wrong direction, having the Allen keyhole in a wrong position to start off, not turning the engine 2 revolutions before and after setting the tension, can lead to system failure. This will cause the arm of the tensioner to hit the stop, creating a hammering noise, damaging and possibly even rupturing that part. This failure mode is very common and can easily be recognised when inspecting the edge of the arm (fig. 4). The resulting wrong tension can cause the belt to rupture.