Thread: Bloody awful night

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Bloody awful night

well it started off well, got coupe turbo alloys off ebay and they were in better condition than i expected so around 7ish me and my bro decided to fit them seeing as it would take half hour max.

went to undo the locking wheel nut on back wheel, its the correct key but is not catching, so i thought hmm never mind ill do the front wheel the now, got the locker off no bother at all but the heavens opened and i was soaked to the skin in a matter of seconds, soldering on i undid the other bolts, jacked the car up and went to remove the wheel to find it wont budge, kicked it a few times still wouldnt move, ended up having to take a screw driver and a hammer to the join between the wheel and the hub, bought half an hour later the wheel came off, new wheel on, dropped the jack, moved round to the passenger side to find the same bloody problem with the front wheel being stuck on (almost welded with the dirt, the cars 5 years old and done 40k, i dont think the wheels have ever been removed on the front)

so after about an hour in the pissing rain i had the 2 front wheels swapped over, went to do the back one and guess what the locker wasnt catching just like the original wheel i tried (think some cowboy has used a gun to tighten the wheels and fecked the bolt), so i was fuming and soaked called the rac who turned up hours later and said they cant do anything (still pissing of rain, i think thats why he couldnt help)

He said ive to go to vauxhall and they will have a master locking wheel nut, is this true or is he talking crap
    Now has a clio - dont ban me

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    depends. sometimes they will have them but when i was at my local one, they no longer kept MK4 masters

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Copper grease - hope you added that

Locker - can get removal kits from halfords etc, or weld a normal bolt onto the nut etc

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    cheers ln...im taking it back to the garage only had the car for 2 months

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Had the same problems with my wheels being 'welded' on! Took alot of force to get them off, but have always made sure I have added copper grease to the hub everytime I take off and re-fit the wheel now, and I no longer have the problem.
    1.9CDTi (150) SRi XP Sportshatch
    Heated Leather Seats - Cruise Control - Climate Control - 18" Pentas - Auto Light & Sight - Electrical Folding Mirrors - Sat Nav

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Yeah sounds like the lockers ahve been put on with an air gun so take the car back to the garage you got it from and rant like mad.

I had the same problem with the lockers ended up paying a garage to remove them. Now I tighten the lockers myself if its ever getting work done.

As for the wheels stickign to the hub, I had that problem before but copper grease on the face of the disk stops it happening again
    Hey YOU See Oooour Reeegin Noooo ! Toss Yer Caber Here

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

bolts

when will people learn to torque wheel blots ? i worked as a recovery driver for a few years and have been out to cars that wheels have fallen off ( to lose ) and had to tow cars in just for a puncture coz some monkey has gunned the bolts arse hole tight!!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    A Hammer and a wee plank of wood on the inside of the wheel. Worked on 40-ton Artics for me every time

Bugger about the bolts though mate. I was worried that would happen to me as I knew my wheels hadnt been taken off since God was a boy. Was ok thankfully.

Hope you get it sorted - crap when it happens to a new (to you) car too
    I>< Silver Coupe ><I

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    shame it was raining, but at least you were outside your house, not in the middle of no where with a flat tyre in the rain, but unlcuky about the wheel bolts
    Honda Civic Type R

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks for all the advice chaps I was up 1st thing yesterday and foned the dealer who said they couldnt take me, wanted to complain but the guy wasnt available so ended up going up and lied saying i was going away for the weekend to get them to remove the nuts, they were able to do it quite easily with the gun, but my locking key is truely fecked so im jumping about with 5 normal bolts the now