Thread: Porsche 997 Carrera s Detail

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Porsche 997 Carrera s Detail

Well as some of you may or may not know but my good friend Paul Aka Miracle Detail has a new range of products coming out shortly starting with his new wax Crystal Rock....The press release for this is imminent and the wax has been formulated in Switzerland by Swissvax possibly the greatest wax manufacturer in the world and certainly one of the oldest...I believe this wax has taken over a year to perfect to what Paul classes as the best possible combination for looks , durability and beading and from testing ive done over the last 3 months i have to agree...

The Flagship has been commisioned by Daniel Swarovski and has a hand made Crystal pot with pauls signature engraved in it and will be retailing for £10,000 a pot but will not be refillable. There will obviously be a cheaper version which will be announced in the press release....

Today was a live test on a car for me and i asked my good friend Pete off Astrasport if i could have his car for the day as he only lives 15 minutes away and hes a great guy with a new dream car that i know he loves to bits so i thought it was fitting really.....

So Pete turned up with the 997 and i got straight on with the wheels.....Brushed used today were my 1" , 2" and 2.5" wheel brush for inside and calliper backs , swissvax wheel brush for faces and wheel nut internals and cotton buds for inside calliper edges..
    Started by apc,ing inside wheels and faces

and left to soak

then inside wheels with drumsticks

before doing faces with swissvax brushes

and callipers

wheels finished

and sprayed off

Next the whole of the lower half was p21,s citrus degreased

before mixing a 1" to 1 litre snowfoam bottle and then foaming the car

the car was left for 5 minutes

and then sprayed off

Next the car was washed using 2 bucket method and loɯʎz autowash and a loɯʎz sponge

before moving onto claying the car with a sonus green claybar

The whole car was clayed including wheels and glass with a seperate claybar and then sprayed off before being washed again

and then sprayed off

Next using R.O water unfortunately now only making 20ppm not zero i rinsed the whole car over to aid drying and to stop water runs leaving trails..

The whole car was then quick detailed using Last Touch

and then dryed with an Aquatouch drying towel

I then went around the whole car taking photos of all the imperfections i could find to show Pete and to aid me later...

I then measured the paintwork and it was averageing 120 microns pretty much across the board dropping to 106 in places and upto 130 in others but pretty good...

Now i masked the whole car up...

It was during masking up that spotted a real cloudiness almost like clearcoat failure or if you can imagine a fine overspray on the paintwork something very strange i havent seen before...It had no feel to it like overspray and i had claybared it well so i did some readings on it and decided to just final finish the area to see if it could be removed ...

I also noticed it under the wing mirror and slightly along the door but was mainly the back panels

There was also some swirling evident although outside this car looked mint inside it didnt at all....

Uding Final finish i eventually got rid of the cloudiness and then moved upto 3m 80349 on a fx2 pad and worked on the swirling....I actually found the paintwork easy to correct on this 997

Some scratching evident on the roof alongside swirls moved upto fx1 pad

Half the roof corrected

The rear panels finished

The rear panel i had a problem with before moving upto fx1 pad

The rear finished

and the side finished

and front wings finished

and lastly the bonnet

and finished using ultrafina and 3m waffle

Next the whole car was Swissvax cleaner fluided

and buffed off

before moving onto Crystal Rock....Now the wax in itself is a pleasure to use....What i really like about it is the composition of the wax and the ease of use personally..Everybody has different tastes and ways of applying wax and removing but what really struck me was the curing time is quite high being 15 minutes today but this fills me with confidence to start with. I am not a fan of 60 second curing times simply because i find it hard to understand how the wax can catalyse with the air and paintwork in such a short space of time and i alweays feel although hazed its too short a time..I have always favoured 5 to 8 minute waxes and found the 10 minute plus waxes like Divine and another top end wax very hard to remove and the later giving the bodywork a massive static charge which i absolutly hate...You can always hear it even when applying with foam applicator and is a dust magnet...Crystal Rock removed after 15 minutes as easily as mystery which is half the time and with ease...I think people will have to test my theories here when they get to play with the wax. No comment on smell.

Wax applied by pad not hand although either is suitable i would presume but i prefer pad for consistency although hand is fun sometimes...

Now while the wax was curing i had 15 minutes to get the wheels sealed for their first layer using Jetseal109 today

Callipers sealed aswell

and to the backs of the rims

Now the wheels were cring the wax had cured and it was time to remove

Tyres then sprayed with Swissvax tyre

All rubber trim and wiperblades aerospaced and exhaust autosoled.....
    Unfortunately the weather was grim and cloudy so outside shots in subdued weather...The car is going for a full photoshoot at a professional studio with a glam model so hopefully i can get some and add them to the thread when taken..
    THE RESULTS

Now theres something cool about a porky driver wearing a VX Racing jacket:wave:
    Heavenly Paintwork is simply Heaven Itself.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    beautiful,superb job

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Stunning

Al
    Black 1.8 Coupe

Status
    Ex-Astra Owner
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Fantastic work as per usual Marc. Bet Pete is really pleased.

Can i just ask though, what is the reason for washing once clayed?

Status
    Sir Peter Pan
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Marc, I cant thank you enough, superb job mate, absolutly stunning

You said it was hard work, I can see why now.
    My Project Auto-Biography Thread: Skin of an Astra - Heart of a Monaro - Click here to read more!

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    stunning pics and a top writeup...

I do have a question though... why is ZYMOL written upside down/back to front in your text?

Next the car was washed using 2 bucket method and loɯʎz autowash and a loɯʎz sponge
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The car is washed once clayed to remove any clay from the bodywork which can come off during claying. This is what i found when i do mine. Marc may have a more techincal answer though.
    And Pete i think its written backwards etc as on detailing world which is prob where Marc originally wrote this (then copied and pasted across) they cant type Zymol for some kind of legal reason from what i understand. so when it is type dit comes out like that by default. Am i right???

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peteg2004 View Post
    I do have a question though... why is ZYMOL written upside down/back to front in your text?
    Because zymol is censored by the swear filter on Detailing World. You sometimes see it come up as Zym0l (with a zero).

Top work Marc. Pete, I bet you're over the moon mate.

And as for Paul's Crystal Wax I WANT SOME!!!
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by se6 View Post
    they cant type Zymol for some kind of legal reason from what i understand. so when it is type dit comes out like that by default. Am i right???
    Yes mate. Zymol got quite funny about people reviewing their products on DW, even though nothing bad was ever said. Zymol never liked the fre advertising and threatened DW with legal action, so the admin added the word 'zymol' to the swear filter
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring

Status
    East Midlands RO
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    nice work again marc
    Astra GSi Turbo
    dap-performance.co.uk
    Live in the East Midlands?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast