Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Meeting Friday 14th March

Meetig Friday 14th March - Queens Crossing

Quickly arranged meeting discussed progress, what we want out of the trip etc...

Dempsey - accomodation and ferry booked.
    Ally - car bought, if a bit thirsty !
    TurboDave - getting real about plans and mileage.
    Me - crapping it !

Actions:
    To all have a think of where we want to go, with distances to see if it's do-able.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well... I've been busy and seeing as Ally is now whining about distance/mpg then I hearby steal the title of Chief Logistic officer. So... basically I've had a rummage around the old bit Auto route and have been doing a time/distance study.

We sail from Newcastle (North Sheilds) at 17:30hrs on the 4th of July
    arriving in Imjuden, North Holland Saturday 5th at 09:00hrs. My proposal is we then head to Amsterdam city, its about 30 mins drive or we can get that mad jet boat ferry thing. I propose we stay Saturday evening, get some drugs and do some crazy shit yes?

Sunday, time we get up/fed/sober then we can aim to drive to Nurburg, not to be confused with Nuremberg... Nurburg is approx 210 miles from Amsterdam, I'd imagine around 4hrs time we stop for food/fuel etc... plus there's no real hurry to get there.

Now, Stuttgart was mentioned and here's where it getrs interesting. Stuttgart is approx 200 miles SOUTH of Nurburg... so, seems rather pointless doing it as a day trip especially if we're doing Stelvio pass. So pay attentiion.

The route to Davos (Stelvio Pass) leaves Nurburg and basically goes right through Stuttgart, then from there its about another 200 miles. So from Nurburg to Davos = 406 miles. The route is good, down past Insbruck etc and into Switzerland.

Now... here comes the good bit.

Rather than doing the Stelvio pass then heading back north, I propose we take a few days and head south west to Genoa. This would take us down through Switzerland, into Northern Italy round the lakes and onto the Medeterrainian coast. Davos to Genoa is approx 260 miles

From Genoa I reckon we hug the coast and drive right round to Monaco, its about 110 miles... right along the Med coastline, in summer... yeah baby yeah!!! Now from monaco I say we forget the Millau Bridge as its literally hundreds of miles, and well by this stage we may be running out of fuel and patience... so from Monaco we can aim directly north to Calais, passing through Lyon and deepest France. Monaco to Calais... and this is the sore bit... 776 miles. OHYAHWHORESIR

Total mileage going from Imjuden, down to the Rind, onto Davos and the Stelvio pass and onto the Med then back north to Calais is approx 1750 miles. Or in Ally's case, 700 tanks of petrol.

Thats as much as I've got so far... still looking into local places etc for day trips, also looking into the do's and don'ts of Amsetrdam, but we can start a new topic for hotel/entertainment for that.

Cheers

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sounds more interesting....

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Think so... but it'll all come down to time management. It's a fair ol drive and I'd like to spend some time doing "holiday" stuff rather than being in the car driving 12hrs a day in the blistering heat! Basically the way I'm thinking is we aim to get the the Ring Sunday evening and establish base camp, then given the distances involved I'd be thinking about heading off Thursday morning to Davos, that a whole day in itself...

The whole Billing thing is critcal for me... being honest I'd rather be off trashing round Europe than sat in a field in Northampton, but again thta comes down to time management. Its a long way, and even the like of the 110 mile trip from Genoa to Monaco could take a good 3/4hrs time we sight see etc.

I just don't fancy just going to the Ring...

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quick search for hotels in Amsterdam and in particular, Ibis hotels...

http://www.ibishotel.com/gb/reservat...e_hotels.shtml

5 to choose from but somewhat pricey, bound to be other cheaper options but one of the big factors will be car parking... and ease of location, 4 car convoy lost in the centre of Amsterdam could prove... interesting

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    deffo do more than the ring....

Great news on Stuttgart being in the right area...
    Also possibles are Lamborghini maybe...(seen in that area somewhere on Ewan MacGregors bike ego trip !!)

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Lambo, Ferrari. Bugatti and Ducatti are al based fairly close to each other around the Italian Lakes... Milan is the main town in that area, but thats back tracking slightly.

Think the biggest issue will be allowing enough time to do it...

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Right ! , cat amongst the pigeons time , hindsight ( the thing that we don,t use very often ) i,ve spent a large part of the weekend abusing the works computer and scarily came up with the same route as Turbodave , along with the fact that the Porsche and Mercedes museums are in Stuttgart and is only 3 hours drive away , so doable ( is there such a word ) in a day !! . Now the hindsight bit , would it not make more sense to reverse the plans and do the long and winding roads first , down through France , along to Monaco , up through them big hills the have in Switzerland , up to Stuttgart , spend a day/ night , up to the Ring for the Wednesday with a wee bit R/R plus a play on the Ring at night , and onto Amsterdam for the Saturday , my tuppenceworth , no doubt will be shot down in flames

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Problem with that one Ally is how long a drive do you want on day one...

Problem with going straight to the dam is the lack of driving on day one !!!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Was thinking day one to drive to Dover , get across the water and find somewhere to stay in the North of France , then day two , drive through France to get to the area we want to be , then take it from there !! (all this woud be dependant on getting the ferry bookings changed !!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast