Thread: 1.6 sxi, worth tuning?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

1.6 sxi, worth tuning?

in the next few months,when i get a new job sorted the car modding is going to start with more enthusiasm. The exhaust is knackered on my G 1.6 sxi, so i'm going to be replacing that with a full system for a start, then maybe look at a panel filter and doing some mods to improve the somewhat roly-poly handling.

i'll be looking at keeping this car around 3 yrs so i'm just curious, beyond exhaust/panel filter, is there much more that can be done to give my 1.6 some extra beans? or is it a fairly futile excersise and a waste?

obviously there is a cost to benefit ratio i need to consider, my main concern would be doing a load of perfomrance mods but still find the car lacking. but given the recent tax hikes, keeping the 1.6 and modding it seems like a more economical option than upgrading to larger engined car in a cpl years.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeah the 1.6 16v engine is a little beast, although expensive a decent inlet manifold will release approx 25bhp (iirc) which on its own is pretty impressive, coupled with the full exhaust you were talking about it should be more than enough to put a smile on your face!
    Fitted options: Folding mirrors, cruise control, dual tone horn, remap.
    Next: Bluetooth

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ECU remap possibly, then i guess you could take a look at LSDs + Short shift stick etc, to improve driving 'experience'

I've done airbox + vecy pipe, got a irmy back box of mine (factory fit), but might be replacing this soon then taking a look at ECU remaps, nearly finished the driving experience + comfort inside, just need to work out where to put my scanguage + other gauges

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jammy View Post
    yeah the 1.6 16v engine is a little beast, although expensive a decent inlet manifold will release approx 25bhp (iirc) which on its own is pretty impressive, coupled with the full exhaust you were talking about it should be more than enough to put a smile on your face!
    interesting! could you please direct us to an example manifold, i'd love 25bhp ontop of my current 145 (+ still yet to do exhaust)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ah well that sounds promising.. i'm curious, will having the full stainless system installed produce quite a noticeable performance increase then?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_SRI View Post
    interesting! could you please direct us to an example manifold, i'd love 25bhp ontop of my current 145 (+ still yet to do exhaust)

probably on about the dbilas inlet manifold?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeah regal autosport do them, for just under a grand, and i was wrong with 25bhp, they say it adds 32bhp
    pretty good bang for buck!
    Fitted options: Folding mirrors, cruise control, dual tone horn, remap.
    Next: Bluetooth

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Can you fit a new inlet manifold on a twinport 1.6? Or is it more expensive/impossible because the cat is in the manifold?
    Watch who's comin' at you! Why? Who's got the power?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hmm, well dont think i could drop a grand on a manifold this year,or the next!

but remaps/filters etc seem more in my price range. after ive got my full exhaust ill give the old insurers a ring and see how much a panel filter will affect the premium (full longlife exhaust would only put it up 3-4 pounds a month).

as far as handling, would lowering/new springs, and an uprated rear anti roll bar sort that out and tighten it up? i do a lot of b-road driving,and constantly feel like the cars going to have me in the ditch!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast