Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Looking into getting an Astra Van

Hey guys, noob here! How's it going?

I'm looking into getting myself a used Astra Van of some sort, anything under 3K would be great, but I thought I'd come and ask for any tips or specific models, trims that I should go for / avoid or things to think of when buying these vans second hand.

Ideally I'd like to have the fold down seats in the back to optionally seat more passengers if need be, and have the full space also by folding them down completely, but they seem few and far between. Is it difficult getting them fitted at all? If so anyone know roughly the cost or where I'd even go to get something like that done - I tried google but came up short Maybe looking in the wrong places.

I've been doing a good bit of research on prices and seem to have a good idea what to expect. But, you guys will no doubt be more clued up than I.

So, any info would be great! Any of you folk drive an Astra Van? And if you're wondering what I am on about something like this is what I am after.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2001-Vauxhall-...QQcmdZViewItem

Cheers, Mike

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi mate,

If you can try and get a sportive as you get better seats and air con and a few other little bits!

What are you planning to do with it? Modifying or just work stuff?

They are great little vans and I hope you get a good one.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hey bud,

mainly just commuting around the city (I teach guitar and gig, so need the space for gear and work stuff.) and also just going to mates. I was orignally thinking a ford transit but they are quite large and finding large van parkin spaces in this city is troublesome. So a half car/van like an Astra van would be excellent.

Don't think I'd been modifying it in the typical sense, I would like to improve the engine's potential mainly over aesthetics, but I wouldn't mind tinting the rear window and adding some tasteful alloys.

The main modification I would want, if it's possible, would be to add a foldable 'bench' seat behind the 2 front seats, but obv. that would require routing out a foot well etc so I amn't sure if it's dooable on this car. I have seen some models with seats in the back that fold but I amn't sure if they have been modified in production or not though.

Also, I've been trying to work out the differences in trim/models but I can't seem to figure it out. There is quite a few types of the astra van about but what are the main things that differ between them. Is there a list of differences listed somewhere on this site at all!

Cheers, Mike

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Theres only 3 trim models envoy, ls & sportive.
    The ls has adjustable height drivers seat & aircon was optional.
    The sportive has sports seats, aircon & electic windows most are silver
    although I've seen a few red ones & white ones.
    Sportive seem to fetch really good money.
    My 53 plate 1.7 dti envoy has remote central locking, rev counter etc.
    Rear seats seem to quite rare I think some of the floor has to be cut away.
    The 1.7 dti's are no rocket ships but at least they are reliable, mine has 142k on it & it still sounds perfect, i'm getting 46 mpg round town.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi have you thought about getting an astra estate and tint the back windows out ,you get the folding seat already fitted and cheaper insurance as its a car where as the van is comercial and has dearer insurance

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phil w View Post
    Hi have you thought about getting an astra estate and tint the back windows out ,you get the folding seat already fitted and cheaper insurance as its a car where as the van is comercial and has dearer insurance
    See I was thinking that, but I'm just going to insure it for social driving (As technically that's what it is, my tutoring isn't declared as real work) and the Astra van works out about a third cheaper than an estate, at least when I checked it on gocompare.com and then on E-Van

Also, are the estates not slightly longer too? Or they both the exact same size?

Thanks for your help guys.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello again.

If you want the rear seats they are a factory option but can be fitted aftermarket by removing the false floor (involves cutting).

As the other guy said only 3 models and several engine types but the age you are looking at there is 1.7dti, 1.7dt, 2.0dti and 1.6 dualfuel.

Sportives as said do hold their value but obviously cost more too.

Pretty sure estates and vans are the same size but correct me if I'm wrong.

Here are some pics of my sportive to give you some ideas:

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I like the white interior, does that tend to come as standard on sportives or did you install them yourself? Nice van indeed.

So for £2500-£3000 would I get a good conditioned, nice running Sportive? And are the 1.7 better/more efficient than the 2.0 engines?

Also, I did a bit of research on getting seats fitted (Incase I didn't purchase one with them in already) and I was told that it'll cost me around £550 to do, does that sound about right?

Also, do these vans have good power? Are they sluggish up hills or at building speed, and are they are hard to push up to 90ish? I'm just wanting an estimate into their engine power, I'm not intending on racing or anything haha. (City I live in where I do my work, Edinburgh, has far too many hills and various steep inclines, so need to make sure they handle them ok!)

(Sorry for all the questions!)

Cheers!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    dont wanna put u off but i've bin told the sportive's tend to go bang if u drive them hard.i got a 17tdi van.i did a full 600miles on a full tank doin just motorway miles.was very impressed.i got a big install in the bak of mine that weighs a fair bit and it still pulls fine.got a white dash like that but not as gd of a finish.i see that craig swaped the radio around with the little tray.i've done that aswell.seem at the wirering loom comes up from the bottom it allows u to pull the radio out further to wrk on.plus u can rest ur hand on the gear knob to change tracks/volume

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    They tend to go bang..... :S What do you mean by drive them hard. Over certain speeds or after a certain mileage?

Good to hear about the mpg, does seem to be a recurring plus point about these vans for sure. Great for my city driving.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast