Thread: Another weekend, and more damage to my VXR!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy Another weekend, and more damage to my VXR!

Well driving back from Birmingham airport, I swung by my mates in Tamworth to drop something off from my recent travels, and set off to go home. Now my route home means traveling on the A5. The section I was on was dual carriage way and I was traveling 60 (speed limit was 60 before anyone asks) and I see a big fat pigeon out of the corner of my eye flying low coming straight towards my car i.e. it was flying across the road I was on. Well I swerved but nope bang on the front of the car, feathers everywhere. I stopped further up to see for damage, feeling absolutely rotten about killing the pigeon but unsure as to how much damage I had to my VXR. Umm, okay where is my fog light???? Seems the pigeon hit it straight on and ripped the fog light straight out, passed through the hole where the fog light was(I found bits and pieces of it kind of splattered, made me a wee bit queasy I tell you!), cracked my bumper, damaged the mesh grill and the chrome surround enough to need replacing as well. The fog light I eventually found in a million pieces. Obviously the impact threw it straight out of the bumper and it hit the barrier on the side of the road. I would have picked up the pigeon but well lets rather not go there.

So enough of the story here are some pic's of the damage.

The mesh and the chrome surround where kind of still attached as was the foglight bulb holder and the light. The light units as mentioned.....well you see the two screws that held it in place, the lugs from the light unit were still attached the light unit was gone.

The crack which does not really show when the mesh is in place.

And the reason it does not really show is because the mesh sits at the level of the little circle below. Well more flush than that but you get the idea.

Well I realised that I never showed pic's of my damage from last week. So here are the pics I took while I was polishing out the scratches. At the top right inside the yellow circle, where the mesh curves around is a crack. Not very visable but kind of..

This pic shows more of the marks, but these have now been polished out so it does not look too bad really. Again the crack is not very visable but it extends down behind the mesh.

And lastly I took countless pic's to show the wrinkling effect in the one section of the bumper, but this is the best one. It kind of shows so hopefully you all get the idea.

To top my lovely 8 days off , my trip to Germany for my meeting was a waste as no-one seemed to inform us that the meeting was canceled. The one plus at least I do not pay any traveling expenses, still a waste of my time. On Thursday evening after finally feeling that I had recovering from my flu I decide gym was on again. Getting out of the car I kind of lost my footing, twisted to grab hold of something and felt a sharp pain in my abdominal area. Almost like being punched really hard! Turns out I have torn one of my abdominals, so the flight Friday was hell and the rest of this weekend not much better really.

Oh joy, at this rate I feel like curling up and sleeping the rest of the year!. On the plus side things can only get better.

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    bloody hell Basil not had much luck this last month have you Looks as though the VXR has come off lucky compared to the impacts you have had, hope you and the car get sorted ASAP
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    HID + LED Guru
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    oft :O

feel sorry for ya mate

hopefully the tables will turn round soon.

Steve
    Astra VXD
    rburgring - 10:55

Scottish Region

Status
    Ex-Astra Owner
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Your not having much luck as of late are you Basil

Status
    Yer...I'm nuts!!
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Follow untouchable On Twitter
    Blimey, did the pigeon have a crash helmet on or something? They usually just puff loads of feathers out and carry on flying/rolling away.

Its a horrible feeling when you squish something, I got a baby bunny a couple of years ago, he jumped into the hedge, then popped back out again as I was about to pass...poor little mite didnt stand a chance

I hope the muscle recovers quickly, and you get the car sorted soon

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    arghh ... shame

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    its better to get all of the bad things out of the way at once

Makes for better summer
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveDempsey View Post
    Hey atleast MOTing your car should be a lot simpler than MOTing your EX. Replacing a worn out bush on a car is far easier.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just be glad it wasn't a fox. My boss hit one at about 80 in his Corsa B. Bumper exploded into as many parts as the fox.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Lets hope this is the last of it basil, you've had a bit of a bad run of luck lately
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring