Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diesel chipping and tuning boxes = Increased engine wear?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Diesel chipping and tuning boxes = Increased engine wear?

GF is picking up her new 05 Astra 1.7CDTi Club on Saturday and I would suggest getting it re-mapped or get a tuning box installed like the DTUK boxes.

My one question is, because of the increase in torque and power, do these performance aids reduce the overall life of the engine and its components.

I spent the whole day yesterday reading about diesel tuning on this site, but nothing was ever mentioned about increased engine wear.

Many thanks
    1.4 1999 Opel Astra 140,000 miles.
    Roll on 200,000 miles!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    if it was my car with my own cash i would go with a Remap on the car every time i did run a Box on the company 1.7cdti astra as it was not my car

just look after the car an service it every 5k max and it should be fine with no probs at all

whats the price of a box now days Vs a Remap £500

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Bladerunner quote:

"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long - and you have burned so very, very brightly, Roy."

Obviously extracting more power will reduce engine life. So you may only get 175k out of the engine instead of 200k. But it's wise to reduce service intervals to 6mo/10k which should combat any extra wear.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I noticed ZS from reading yesterday that you where not a fan of tuning boxes and Andrew888 sent you the two boxes to try out and now your running the DTUK Green.

Planning to do very regular oil changes at around 5k miles and change air filters at 10k miles.

You look after your car and it will look after you.

The car will be doing 500 miles a week on the motorway, so hopefully she will be getting pretty good fuel economy from the 1.7 CDTi 100. Would it be worth her while having a box installed.

Picking the car up Saturday. She's all excited about getting the new model Astra. She loves it as much as her mk4 Astra that she sold last week.

ZS any opinions on CR Morrows in Newry. They seem pretty good to me so far.
    Roll on 200,000 miles!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    i might try a box on the 1.7cdti i have at the mo see if they are any better then the last one i had a few years ago on the 1.9cdti vectra

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have one on my 1.9 cdti TwinTop and its been fantastic both in performance and MPG increases.

Thoroughly recommended and around £230 which will pay for itself very quickly in fuel savings.
    Twintop Design, 1.9 CDTI, Leather, Cruise Control, Keyless, Adaptive Forward Lighting, DTUK Green Box.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinTop View Post
    I have one on my 1.9 cdti TwinTop and its been fantastic both in performance and MPG increases.

Thoroughly recommended and around £230 which will pay for itself very quickly in fuel savings.
    Am not really concerned about the performance end of things, I am satisfied with that, I am wondering what the long term effects on the engine and relevant parts will be.
    Roll on 200,000 miles!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It safe to say as with anything mechanical, the harder you push it the more wear will occur. But the 1.9 cdti engine is designed to take much higher loads than the UK spec settings allow it to. Mines on contract hire so I'm not that bothered As has been mentioned above - push it too hard and the engine management system comes in and stops any damage occurring so you are completely safe.
    Twintop Design, 1.9 CDTI, Leather, Cruise Control, Keyless, Adaptive Forward Lighting, DTUK Green Box.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinTop View Post
    It safe to say as with anything mechanical, the harder you push it the more wear will occur. But the 1.9 cdti engine is designed to take much higher loads than the UK spec settings allow it to. Mines on contract hire so I'm not that bothered As has been mentioned above - push it too hard and the engine management system comes in and stops any damage occurring so you are completely safe.
    Good point TT, I forgot about the engine management. Any performance aids = increased service intervals. Thanks guys for your advice. I think I suggest to her to get it.
    Roll on 200,000 miles!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kluivert View Post
    Good point TT, I forgot about the engine management. Any performance aids = increased service intervals. Thanks guys for your advice. I think I suggest to her to get it.
    You know you want to

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast