Thread: Wierd Noise

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wierd Noise

Been getting a wierd noise when driving from cold. As i accelerate and then let off the accelarator in a low gear my car makes a funny whining noise That the best way i can describe it anyway. Anyone have any idea what it could be? I thought perhaps it could be the heatshield vibrating but ive checked and its ok plus it only does it from cold.

Also... checked my oil level yesterday and it was pretty low, about a quarter full according to the dipstick. Stuck about 2 litres in, let it settle and checked again and it was about 3/4 full so i left it at that. Decided to check again today and when i pulled my dipstick out it was covered in oil about half way up!! Have i overfilled it?!
    To be honest i do find it difficult reading the oil level as when you take the dipstick out it coats the inside of the tube with oil so any subsequent insertion and extraction means that oil that's on the inside of the tube coats the wire making it almost impossible to tell what the level is. Does anyone else have this problem??

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
    Been getting a wierd noise when driving from cold. As i accelerate and then let off the accelarator in a low gear my car makes a funny whining noise That the best way i can describe it anyway. Anyone have any idea what it could be? I thought perhaps it could be the heatshield vibrating but ive checked and its ok plus it only does it from cold.

Also... checked my oil level yesterday and it was pretty low, about a quarter full according to the dipstick. Stuck about 2 litres in, let it settle and checked again and it was about 3/4 full so i left it at that. Decided to check again today and when i pulled my dipstick out it was covered in oil about half way up!! Have i overfilled it?!
    To be honest i do find it difficult reading the oil level as when you take the dipstick out it coats the inside of the tube with oil so any subsequent insertion and extraction means that oil that's on the inside of the tube coats the wire making it almost impossible to tell what the level is. Does anyone else have this problem??
    the oil was about 1/4 the way up the dip stick marks? if so the difference between the two marks is about a litre so you should be about 1 1/4 litres over full

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well the oil level was just below the bottom mark on the dipstick so near enough at minimum (this should be about 1 litre of oil left?). I can't see how 1.5 to 2 litres of oil would send me over the maximum. When the dipstick is at maximum there should be about 4.0 to 4.5 litres of oil shouldn't there?!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello

Yer i've experienced similar problems with the dipstick, where i've tried to check it as mentioned in the manual & the markings on the dipstick is completely covered in oil even if i have not topped it up!
    It was alot easier on the astra g where when the engine was cold you took out the dipstick & you instantly got the correct reading.