Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mk4 1.6SXi, 120,000 and losing water?

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Mk4 1.6SXi, 120,000 and losing water?

Quick query folks - not found anything specific on the search though lots of threads suggesting what I may end up doing. My 2002 Mk4 Astra SXi 1.6 16v LPG is nearing 120,000 and is due a full service, cambelt kit etc etc.

I've added ~1 litre of water to the coolant in the past month - I have never had to add water or oil between services in the lifetime of this car which I've owned from new (FSH etc) so I am a little curious what the issue may be. I was advised at the last small service to request the water pump be changed at 120,000 as it is an easy job if the cambelt etc is already off. This I am going to get done, seems sensible.

I am now curious whether I should also consider getting the head gasket done aswell? The service is going to cost enough anyhow (though given up on main dealer pricing now so will save a little there, trust the new garage etc), given I'm now starting to lose water, and the next full service is 40,000 miles away (though only 18 months with 25,000 per year)...is it a simple enough job to do the head gasket if the engine is stripped for the cambelt change anyhow or will it make little difference to the labour charges?

I have not seen any water under the car, there is no trace in the oil nor is the coolant looking a dubious colour (still pretty clear), only issue is I need to get the EGR (and maybe stepper motor) cleaned, not a biggie. Need to do a better visual check on the leak when it stops raining and I remember but it isn't an obvious leak. Nothing weird from the exhaust on startup either. This car ideally needs to last another few years yet, bought it new to keep it as long as possible Nice car too which helps! Never stopped enjoying driving it!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Check all the under bonnet hose while he engine is running. When mine was losing water, I thought it was serious but it turned out to be a worn heater hose.

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Lol, cheers that would be nice - would also suggest why I've never seen anything dripping under the car, only ever checked with the engine off...Will have a looksee tomorrow if I get a chance, perhaps when I get to work as that's a decent drive. Fingers crossed but always a little pessemistic

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Check the carpet in the passenger side footwell. If it's damp, it's the heater matrix.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Will check, though I've not had any misting up issues inside the car, can't do any harm though - can't see any obvious leaks under the bonnet after a good long drive but it is losing so little per day it may be hard to spot - can you add some kind of marker die to the coolant?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Check the water pump, exact thing happend to mine.

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Cheers, water pump will be done in the next week or two with the full cambelt/kit change service, should add loads more pennies to the bill but hopefully save some longer term!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Had that EXACT PROBLEM just last week. I was looking for a leak and never found it. Checked if the flooring of the driver and passenger was wet. It wasn't.

But my drivers eagle eye saw where the leak was.

Try to look closer at the bolt (left side) where the aircon condenser is hanging. It's infront of the radiator.

It gives a lot of weight pressure on the radiotor coz of the weight of the conderser. The hole was so small that the leak is soooooo slow that you would not notice the drip.

I found out that my friends astra had the same problem. You might have the same... keep us updated

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Curious - had the aircon raditator changed a few months ago, no leak before the change was done, wonder if perhaps they knocked or weakened that exact spot - will have a check later today. Garage were planning on pressure testing the cooling system when the service is done (booked in now, water pump getting changed regardless), said there may be tell tale signs of the leak anyhow, some crystalising of the coolant fluid around the hole etc.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ..if radiator has been changed and soon your water pump. I'm lost I have no idea... though i have a tip to prolong the shelf life of your radiator.

Don't use tap water. Use mineral water.. its cleaner..it prevents accumulation of impurities from the water...that could lower the circulation of water coz those impurities hardens in the long run..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast