Thread: Exhaust Kit

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exhaust Kit

What is the best exhaust kit for a mk4 astra 1.6 8v....
    im on a budget of about 150 - 200?
    i want a full system if that is possible?
    will the manifold need changing? or what?
    cheers

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The best one you can get for your budget would be the GT3 one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAUXHALL-ASTRA...QQcmdZViewItem

£142.95 delivered

it replaces the centre section with a straight thru pipe (ie no silencer) and a nice sports rear section - I used to have this setup on mine (same engine) before I had the custom one fitted and I was more than happy with it.

This is a cat-back system - if you wanted a full system you would need a sports cat - unfortunately if you have a later model (ie Z16SE from 2000 onwards) - the catalytic convertor is built into the manifold itself and a sports mani-cat costs in the region of £500-800 depending on custom/off the shelf.

If u have the earlier X16SZR (like me) then the cat is located on the front pipe and resides underneath the engine. If this is the case, then u keep ur existing cast manifold and replace the front pipe/cat assembly with a sports cat front pipe - these can be had for £220 delivered from www.tuning.co.uk
    Both sports cat options clearly overshoot your budget therefore the cat-back system is the sensible option and an option I know you will be more than impressed with.

The 8v is a great little engine - ok its an aged design and its not gonna light up the road but it does whats expected of it and unlike the 16v variants - it responds very well to an induction kit - mated up with a performance exhaust like the ebay link above - youll be well impressed.

Insurance shouldnt be too much of a problem either with 2 minor mods considering your age etc.

Any questions re: the 8v motor gimme a shout - us 8v guys need to stick together *says the guy who's got a conversion planned

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i did look at that system on the internet seems the one i was most interested in!

does an air intake really do that much on a 8v? i heard that it didnt do alot so wasnt worth the hassel was just better off gettin a k&n panel filter?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    depends what ur after - i personally love the induction roar so my custom built induction kit fits the bill perfectly.

ive got a universal cone filter fitted onto the end of som 6" ducting that runs directly to the throttle body - shit loads of air just where u want it.

im not a fan of the induction kits on the market as nothing more than just a cone filter - if u can get rid of all the intake plastics like on mine then great - if u dont want the infamous induction roar then stick with a panel filter, derestricted airbox and enlarged intake.

Even if u go for an induction kit - still fit the enlarged air intake from a VectraC or a diy one with some good diamater ducting....not the flimsy 3" max bore stuff u get with off the shelf induction kits.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    beyond me finding it m8! im new to this modifying cars im young so cant afford to do much will be a work in progress gettin things wen i save up! also i got to think of insurance everything i do is guna kill me or i dnt declare it nd risk wen i crash i get rid of it!
    so im unsure wat to do with it! and if i choose to wat to do! i no a mechanic but he h8s mods so wouldnt do it for me more like a family friend nd aint payin sum other shody garage! but i dnt no where to strt by myself!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Right then....first off then u can de-restrict the airbox

click here for details: http://www.astraownersclub.com/docum...derestrict.pdf

Then you can fit an enlarged air intake from a Vectra C Diesel
    Go to Vauxhall parts desk and order part numbers: 9177099 & 9177104 - Cost about £13 total

click here for details: http://www.astraownersclub.com/docum...ectra-pipe.pdf

Both above will not affect the insurance and in all honesty not worth mentioning it - 99.9% sure it would never be spotted if worse came to worse...

As for the panel filter - some say just replacing the filter with a new paper one every 6month to a year is just as good as a so called uprated one.
    at about ten times cheaper than an uprated one its also a wise choice financially

Do the above then get the exhaust and leave it for now - build up ur no claims and enjoy the experience of being on the road.

Good luck and any questions just ask

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    cheers m8 i will do that i have read about helpint he air flow nd bigger pipes! i will do that and leave it stock add a few minor things nd hoep for the best tht i get away with it! cheers for ur help man! shame ur not a south west driver!