Thread: Is it me...

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Is it me...

or is the sound in my Astra 07 with CD30 a bit pants? It seems variable, sometimes good, sometimes a bit dead, sometimes tinny. I drove a 57 Twin Top today and noticed the same thing with the CD30MP3. Is it the speakers they use?

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I would not necessarily blame the speakers
    .... changing the head unit can make a huge difference

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    On the flip side though - sometimes upgrading to quality speakers yet retaining the original HU is a wise move...

Different models - different results

Whats cheapest/easiest to change? Do that one first and if ur still not happy then do the other - then youll have best of both worlds.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've just changed the front speakers on mine (Astra VXR with CD30 MP3) and the difference is amazing - they weren't massively expensive speakers (Kenwood KFC-P707 @ around £50) but were dead easy to fit and improved the sound no end.

They are nowhere near as sensitive as the standard ones (ie, the volume knob needs to be higher to get the same relative volume) but the quality is spot on.

One thing though - if you do replace door speakers and you put the crossovers in behind the door trim, then remember to check the sound and set the relative level of the tweeter before you replace all the door cards - it'll save you having to take them off again later!
    2006 Astra VXR on 19's in Arden Blue
    ExhaustsUK Catback, Eibach Sportlines, DS Ultima, Roose hose kit, Forge recirculating dump valve, Full self modded SMD conversion

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Gnasher, what was it that you didnt like about the sound? I just find the audio quality strangely variable. If it was of a consistent quality - whether good or not so good - you could at least compensate by Bass/treble etc and then decide if you want to do anything else like new speakers etc. I was just interested to know if others with the stock HU and speakers found the same.

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I changed my CD30 to a mid-range Kenwood unit and the quality was hugely better. That's with the standard speakers and 7th speaker connected across the back speaker outputs.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tecstar View Post
    Gnasher, what was it that you didnt like about the sound? I just find the audio quality strangely variable. If it was of a consistent quality - whether good or not so good - you could at least compensate by Bass/treble etc and then decide if you want to do anything else like new speakers etc. I was just interested to know if others with the stock HU and speakers found the same.
    It's not something I could put my finger on as to what was wrong with them really, but I'll try...

The bass was lacking (although not bad for a standard system) and the treble wasn't as clear as I would have liked. This was fairly consistent and not dependant on source used.

To be honest, I've only changed them as I will eventually be hooking them up to an amp with another amp and sub for good measure, and the standard one's would fry with 70wRMS going through them!!

If you are getting better sound on one source (CD/Radio etc.) then have a look at the settings for bass/treble - I think that changing the settings when listening to CD doesn't change the radio settings - that might be something to do with it!

Quote Originally Posted by stampede View Post
    I changed my CD30 to a mid-range Kenwood unit and the quality was hugely better. That's with the standard speakers and 7th speaker connected across the back speaker outputs.
    Why did you need to re wire the centre speaker? If you use the standard wiring it negates the need to do this. (Not having a go - just interested, that's all!)
    2006 Astra VXR on 19's in Arden Blue
    ExhaustsUK Catback, Eibach Sportlines, DS Ultima, Roose hose kit, Forge recirculating dump valve, Full self modded SMD conversion

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I didn't run new wires to the 7th speaker as such, but the Kenwood had no output for a 7th speaker, so I connected the wiring across the + for one rear speaker and the - of the other.

This is the way the centre speaker is wired up in the standard headunit.