Thread: astra won't start

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy astra won't start

hi all (first post sorry) i've an old astra (1993 ish Y reg') 1.4 sohc with multipoint injection...
    the problem is that i have no spark or fuel pump activity, no volts to pump...

i've just replaced the headgasket, waterpump and cambelt due to the headgasket failing so to do so i disconnected the battery then unplugged all the wires across the top of the engine (injectors, sensors etc) and laid them out of the way whilst i unbolted the head and parts, refitted everything with new gaskets, timed the engine up correctly, reconnected all the wiring then reconnected the battery....

now i get power to everything but ignition and fuel pump , the car turns over happily on the key but nothing happens, the fuel doesn't pressurise and i get no ignition as the engine doesn't even cough with a squirt of "easy start" down the inlet tract ....

i really don't want to scrap this car as it's condition is too good and i've just put 12months MoT on it along with the new parts now and until this happened it's been a lovely little motor ..

help please

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Welcome mate hopefully this will be a simple problem to fix

Fuel pump relays have always been troublesome on earlier vauxhalls. In my experience they didn't just do the fuel pump but also the ECU feed.

Does your engine managment light come on when you first swicth the ignition on (does it even have one)
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs Up

Thanks for the welcome

(quote) Does your engine managment light come on when you first swicth the ignition on (does it even have one) (end quote)

if you mean the little orange light with the picture of an engine with an electrical flash thru it, then yes it does illuminate ...

everything "appears" to work correctly except the fuel pump and ignition (no sparks no feed to the pump either)...

i'm not afraid of electrics and have a basic grasp of them (i build custom harnessess for motorcycles when i need them) i just have no idea when it comes to cars due to everything being hidden and never really had the need to look into them since the mid to late seventies...

i've no diagnostic kit beside my multimeter either just in case you were going to ask and unfortunately i used the manual for a corsa just for torque settings as i haven't got a haynes for this car so i doubt i'll be able to find any info on this particular problem in there and the wiring diagram is most likely different along with the location of components

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Just reading your first post again, what mark of astra do you have? 1993 and Y reg don't match up, with the engine though i'll guess it's a MK3

Have a search on here for the paperclip test and do that which may show up the fault
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    would assume he means 1983 - that would tie in with the Y plate and therefore a Mk1 but the engine wouldnt!!! unless its had a 14SE transplanted

In which case I'll stop stickin my oar in

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    apologies all round, made an error and didn't proof read my initial post correctly ...

it should have read "L" reg' , therefore 93-94 (i think as logbook is at dvla ), i'll presume it's a mk3, don't really know anything about astra's but it's looking like i'm having to learn ...

i'll hunt for the "paperclip trick"
    Cheers

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Yes you have a MK3

GB who posted above is the man to speak to on the paperclip test. The ODB port is behind the fuse box cover

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    heres a little how-to i did for the mk4 - but the principle is the same http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...69&postcount=4

it looks quite complicated but its just a case of briding two pins (usually 5 & 6) on the OBD (On Board Diagnostics) port and counting the sequence of flashes and pauses of the EML (engine managemenet light) on the dash.

More details can be found at www.topbuzz.co.uk but the site navigation aint that good so u need to click on the following options:
    Info Tech Section >>> Reading ECU Fault Codes

Once youve made a note of the codes you'll probably end up with something like
    **********_*_*_***** 10 flashs, 1 pause, 1 flash, 1 pause , 1 flash, 1 pause and 5 flashes

All 10s become 0 & u only count the flashes so youd come out with
    0, 1, 1, 5 = P0115 which would in turn indicate CTS (Coolant Temp Sensor)

You may also have the ECU which uses a slightly different method - in this case the fault code is only 2 digits as opposed to 4

Same procedure as above tho - in this case an example would be
    *-** (1 flash, 1 pause and another 2 flashes = code 12)

Have a look at that topbuzz address above for more details

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    with reference to non starting astra I have the same problem but using the paper clip method no faults were found, any luck on yours or has anybody got any great ideas

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i ended up giving it to a garage and paying ....

they "claimed" the crank sensor wasn't plugged in properly and there was a poor connection on the "brain" (main controller box) ....

unfortunately i rarely believe garages, due to them trying to treat most folks as idiots, but on this occaision i cannot argue with them