Thread: need some gen on eye sight

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

need some gen on eye sight

Over the last week or so I have noticed that I am having some trouble with my eye sight. For example over the last few days I have got to a point that I can not sit in front of the computer screen anymore and also struggled at the cinema last night.

Basically my eyes seem to not scan the page as quickly as they used too. I will move my head to look at some thing but my eyes take a little while longer to adjust. Over a period of time I get a headache and feel a little sick.

I can see things far away as normal, and do not have to squint to look at things close up - other than the PC screen I have no issue with my eye sight as far as I can tell.

I spend roughly about 4-5 hours a day in front of computer.
    My seating postion and lighting has not changed at all.
    My equipment has not changed at all.
    It does seem better if I turn down the contrast and brightness on the screen.

I will be going to have my eyes tested this week as it is a concern and getting to the point I dont really like sitting in front of the computer. However any thoughts or ideas would be great
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    when using a computer you're supposed to take 15mins break per hour to focus on something further away. You dont tend to blink as much when staring at a screen so you can get headaches etc.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Obviously this is something to do with the way your body is working... and possibly some chemical imbalance in the way that your body is dealing with things...

Maybe something to do wth a cold that you may have had recently, or signs of a cold you yet to have coming.... could also be down to any food changes you have had recently, started eating something different?

it could also just be down to bodily changes as you are inevitably getting older, and its just your eyes crying out for glasses, possibly something that you have needed for a while, but never realised until this concern came about.

Either way whatever the outcome, they will establish this at the optometrists

(just my un-educated guesses :P)

Status
    Bit busy... be back soon!
    Drives
    Astra Coupe 2.2
    Mentioned in
    133 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    Follow AndyH On Twitter Add AndyH on Facebook Add AndyH on Google+
    Quote Originally Posted by MatG View Post
    Over the last week or so I have noticed that I am having some trouble with my eye sight. For example over the last few days I have got to a point that I can not sit in front of the computer screen anymore and also struggled at the cinema last night.

Basically my eyes seem to not scan the page as quickly as they used too. I will move my head to look at some thing but my eyes take a little while longer to adjust. Over a period of time I get a headache and feel a little sick.

I can see things far away as normal, and do not have to squint to look at things close up - other than the PC screen I have no issue with my eye sight as far as I can tell.

I spend roughly about 4-5 hours a day in front of computer.
    My seating postion and lighting has not changed at all.
    My equipment has not changed at all.
    It does seem better if I turn down the contrast and brightness on the screen.

I will be going to have my eyes tested this week as it is a concern and getting to the point I dont really like sitting in front of the computer. However any thoughts or ideas would be great
    Sounds like eye strain... your optician will probably tell you the same. Sam gets the same thing - she says "Take regular short breaks, and don't forget to blink! It sounds silly, but when you concentrating on something intently, you can forget to blink as much as you should!"
    Actively proving that post counts mean jack sh*t since 1971

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    the forgeting to blink things doesnt sound stupid, I have actually thought to myself I need to blink as my eyes are hurting. I would agree its eye strain but is that down to just getting older? could it deteriate as quickly as it has?

I eat everything so it wont be that and nothing has changed in my life in that way, although I did have some issues with my eyes about 3 months ago and I do have an issue with my one eye due to scratching my eye ball badly about 7 years ago.

My mom has bad eye sight so mybe its just that I do need glasses? although everything else seems totally normal, just computer screens and TV's really.

Status
    Bit busy... be back soon!
    Drives
    Astra Coupe 2.2
    Mentioned in
    133 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    Follow AndyH On Twitter Add AndyH on Facebook Add AndyH on Google+
    Quote Originally Posted by MatG View Post
    the forgeting to blink things doesnt sound stupid, I have actually thought to myself I need to blink as my eyes are hurting. I would agree its eye strain but is that down to just getting older? could it deteriate as quickly as it has?

I eat everything so it wont be that and nothing has changed in my life in that way, although I did have some issues with my eyes about 3 months ago and I do have an issue with my one eye due to scratching my eye ball badly about 7 years ago.

My mom has bad eye sight so mybe its just that I do need glasses? although everything else seems totally normal, just computer screens and TV's really.
    Well, as you get older, it does take your eyes longer to adjust to changes... that's how older people end up wearing glasses

You ain't that old though! Just need to learn that as you get older, you'll have to adapt how you function to suit. Just ease up a little!
    Actively proving that post counts mean jack sh*t since 1971

Status
    The Invisible Woman
    Drives
    Zafira
    Mentioned in
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    just remember to take regular breaks, even if its just to make a cuppa. The blinking thing.. well.. i know how hard it is to remember to do when working on something intense.. but its well worth trying. At work when it starts to kick in, I go and take a 10 minute break away from the screen and I find it helps.

Hopefully the optician will tell you that all is well, and that it is just eye strain

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    I wear glasses for eye strain and have done since doing my A levels. Don't know how I'd cope without them.

Get your eyes tested and in the mean time get some drops for your eyes if you get an almost burning sensation after staring at the computer screen use them.

jam
    Its a jam thing

Haec credam a deo pio, a deo justo, a deo scito?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I am not an expert on this but from the little i know as a med student it sounds like you are experiencing delayed accomadation of your lense by the way you are describing moving your head and taking a while for eyes to adjust, this could be eye strain, but to come on suddenly over 2 weeks, more likely suffering from an infection, do you have any cold like symptoms? Do you experience the same when not looking at screen, i.e. looking at one corner of room and then moving head to look at other corner?

I wouldnt worry to much about it, but i would deffo get it checked out by an expert and try and lay off staring at the computer until then.

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    having a break does help and I only get it when looking at the PC screen. Just watched the TV for an hour and it seems fine. Now back on the PC and all is ok for now.

I dont have any cold symptoms although I did get very run down before Christmas and was ill for the start of the year (nothing bad just a nagging cold). I have certainly been well enough to cycle 2.5 hours of down hill mountain biking today though, so health wise I would say Im fine

Only other symptom would be slight blurring on objects of light. For example the LCD clock on the microwave in the kitchen if the light is off. Or I could just be tired, I dont know TBH

thanks for the input

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast