Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Bought some alloys - need advice

Hi,

I just won some alloys on ebay and I was would like to know what I am supposed to do before/after fitting them. The wheels with the tyres are about a month old from new and have only been used for 1000 miles. And they are platinum apparently. Is it good that they are platinum? The brand is also 'Fox Racing R1'. I paid £260 for them on ebay. See pics below amd tell me what you think.

Am I meant to balance the wheels before fitting and how much is usually charged for the fitting service? Where would be the best cost effective places to fit them? Any tips would be great.

Thanks.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Are they the correct stud pattern? 4x100 or 5x110 depending on which model u have?

balancing is usually only required when new tyres are fitted but might be worth having them checked and extra weights added if necessary - try and find a local garage and watch them do it - i would avoid the quick fit places who typically treat u like shit imo (sweeping statement i know but so feck!)

You'll also need a set of spigot rings- these will reduce the centre bore (hole in middle of wheel) down from the manufactured size to the relevant size of your hubs . 56.6mm for 4 studs or 65.1mm for 5 stud

plenty for sale on ebay - but if u can provide a link to the ebay listing for the wheels we can double check whats needed

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hiya mate, the wheels you can fit yourself, it is pretty simple, just need a jack, and wheel brace, which you should have in your boot. Hopefully no need to balence them, TBH its a case of fitting them and feeling what they are like, if they shake/vibrate at speed, you need balancing, if the car goes to one side especially when braking, your tracking is probably out.

Nice wheels., 16"????
    SOLD Slightly tickled 175.9bhp 2.2 SE2 on 19" vxr's..

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I take it you ensured they are the correct size, i.e. number of studs, PCD, offset, width..?
    8 Astras in a row! Can Anyone Beat That?
    Star Silver Astra Sporthatch SRi XP 1.9 CDTi (150PS)
    A Vauxhall site about Vauxhalls.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi GeordieBandit,

This is what the seller advertised:

Fox Racing
    Fox R1
    17"Alloy Wheels Platinum finish.
    This listing is for a set of four wheels in A1 mint condition.
    They where on my car only a month(1000 miles still has nobbles) before i was hit by a van writing it off.
    There are no Marks, Scratches, Dents and look brand new..
    They are selling for £570 in a local Halfords so grab a bargane..
    Tec Stuff
    I have took eveything from the wheels and tyers as i can, hope it makes sence......
    Will fit any 4 stud Vauxhall, Mazda Mx5, Rover 200/400. i was told from the shop i bought them from.
    4 Stud.
    Federal tyers 215/40 R17 with curb protection lip.
    P990375C
    7x17 ET424H100CB73.1
    7Jx17H2
    560 KG.
    Pick up only payment on pick up or pay pal
    Good luck and happy bidding..

Its for my Astra '03 club. It will definately fit wont it? I never heard of spigot rings. WHat do they do? It would be great if you could guide me to some on ebay. So what do you think of the wheels? Is it good value? The seller could also be hiding things. On his ebay history, he bought some wheels in April 07. However there were no details of this transaction as ebay doesnt provide details of items bought/sold more than 90 days previous. Here he stated that it is 1 month old and 'still has nobbles' (whatever the hell nobbles are). It could be another set. It could be these. What am I to look for?

Thanks.

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    yes they will fit, you just need 4 spigot rings to reduce the CB (centre bore) from 73.1mm to 56.6mm.

Search for them on eBay and you will see what they look like

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ET424H100CB73.1 - Should be ok, that means offset 42mm, 4 hole, 100mm centres, bore 73.1mm.

And GB explained spigot rings above

Quote Originally Posted by GeordieBandit View Post
    You'll also need a set of spigot rings- these will reduce the centre bore (hole in middle of wheel) down from the manufactured size to the relevant size of your hubs . 56.6mm for 4 studs or 65.1mm for 5 stud

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    they're not platinum BTW, thats just the finish effect on them. if they were solid platinum then don't fit them to your car go weigh them in at a jewellers and buy as many sets as you can find to do the same with
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.