Thread: New Discs

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

New Discs

i did an insurance renewal quote the other day...and ive found out that my premium is actually lower if i have 'brake modifications'

so im looking for a new set of vented or drilled discs on ebay on the cheap..although i seem to be struggling a bit..any that i find only list 1.8 16v (non abs)

and im at a loss with measurments..ive only got the standard 15" alloys..so will a new set even fit?

sorry for my noobness

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    All 1.8 models have 5 stud 280mm discs as standard

The easiest way to do any upgrade would be to fit performance discs and pads.
    These come in various shapes and forms but the easiest way would be some drilled/grooved/combi discs and some uprated pads.

This is also the cheapest option
    A set of front discs on their own will set u back £70 delivered here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ASTRA-G-4-COUP...QQcmdZViewItem

or a set of front & rears for £120 here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ASTRA-2-2-COUP...QQcmdZViewItem

Ignore the reference to 2.2 in the last listing - as all 5 stud mk4s were 280mm up front (minus the Turbo models which were 308mm) and 264mm at the rear.

The 1.8 (non abs) u mentioned is also irrelevant as all 5 stud normally aspirated models (as mentioned above) are 280mm diamater irrespective of ABS or not....although all 1.8 models had ABS so its a non starter.

Basically any of the above links would be ideal for yourself. You would just then need to source some uprated pads.

Theres a few to choose from here.. EBC Greenstuff, Black Diamond Predator, Mintex Extreme etc etc etc.... Ive just got some Mintex but thats cos they were at rock bottom prices but Ive heard very good reports on the BD Predator pads - these can be had from LMF for a good price - all 5 stud front pads are the same - irrespective of 280mm or 308mm discs so u can choose whatever compound pad u wish - and for whatever 5 stud model is listed.

As for rear pads - it all depends what type of calipers you have fitted... Both Bosch & Lucas calipers were fitted to Mk4 Astra so you need to find out which setup u have and then get the relevant pads to suit.

Easy to tell tho - Bosch calipers have 4 ridges across the top of the caliper - whereas the later Lucas type are smooth in comparison.

Bosch are known to be problematic and commonly suffer from seizing therefore if you have these then maybe time to upgrade to Lucas ones or give them a damn good overhaul...certainly cheap enough to do.

Anyway,,,,hopefully this should be more than enough info to keep u going.

If u need any more advice then ask away.

OH and as for discs fitting under ur current rims - if u stick to standard diamater discs as highlighted above then everything will be good.

If however u want to go bigger then it would cause issues.

You can easily fit 308mm (ie turbo spec) discs but in addition to the discs themselves you will need new caliper carriers from a 308mm turbo model....apart from that - new pads - and ur sorted....

Might be food for thought.
    308 Discs can be had for £70 pair....Pads about £30 or even cheaper if u can get trade prices and get from Vauxhall.... carriers are rare on the 2nd hand market though....and pricey new!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No !!

Astra-G 1.8 without ABS had 256mm discs, only 1.8 with ABS got 280mm.
    Maintains:- Vectra Design 1.9CDTi
    Drives :- Hyundai Santa Fe

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ok the very rare (in the UK) 1.8 4stud 256 Non ABS models..... but in all honesty....how many of these are out there on british roads??

I stand corrected anyway

As long as the listing is for 5 stud discs - then they will be 280 or 308 as mentioned above

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeordieBandit View Post
    These come in various shapes and forms but the easiest way would be some drilled/grooved/combi discs and some uprated pads.
    since when have disc's come in different shapes
    Astra VXR - Arden Blue, Diamond cut 19's, Cruise Control, Debaged, Folding Mirrors, CD70 NAVI and CID + Aux-In, Factory Bluetooth, Piano Black Interior Trim, Full Milltek Unresonated Exhaust

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Wavey discs

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Oooh we have a smart arse in the building!!!

At least my reply was helpful Rizo!!!!

and YES I meant wavey discs - honestly

Status
    Going Topless!
    Drives
    Astra 1.8 Twintop, Lotus Carlton, Meriva VXR and Nova
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coggy View Post
    i did an insurance renewal quote the other day...and ive found out that my premium is actually lower if i have 'brake modifications'

Strange they normally go uo, as they assume you'll try and brake later into corners, thus increasing the risk of getting it wrong and crashing.

Was it an online quote? If so i'd double check before going ahead.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rizo View Post
    since when have disc's come in different shapes
    Do some homework before posting.

Rotor blade discs. gimmick.

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...%3Den%26sa%3DG

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keif View Post

Strange they normally go uo, as they assume you'll try and brake later into corners, thus increasing the risk of getting it wrong and crashing.

Was it an online quote? If so i'd double check before going ahead.

it was an online quote with liverpool victoria, i see where your coming from, but it also enables you to brake harder...or quicker in the case of an emergancy stop ect ect

i'll give them a ring today and double check it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast