Well some of u may know that I am currently in the process of doin a mix n match brake upgrade to my little 8v.
It originally had 256mm 4 stud brakes which I always thought were ok - until a few months back when I noticed the braking left more than a little to be desired.
On closer inspection I noticed the N/S/F hose was split (or at least leaking somehow), the discs were both warped to buggery and both calipers appeared to be binding!
A few weeks back I snapped up a full setup from a 1.4 Mk5 for £100 delivered.... this included the following:
2 x 5 Stud Hubs with ABS (dont have ABS so may keep or sell)
2 x Steering Knuckles
2 x Caliper Carriers
2 x Calipers
2 x 280mm 5 stud Discs (used)
2 x Pads (used)
I also sourced a full set of braided Goodridge hoses from a good mate - brand new for £30
Now seeing as I like to be different I didnt want a 5stud upgrade yet as I love my rare 4 stud wheels. Also didnt fancy redrilled 308s for 4 stud fitment so thanks to MarkC (who also did a similar upgrade) I thought this was ideal.
Basically its a 4 stud 280mm setup - discs are from a 4 stud Mk5 or Meriva. The disc prices varies wildly from £70-150 a pair - I paid about midrange for some grooved ones minus an unwanted set I part-ex'd.
Oh, and the bargain of the whole conversion was a set of brand new Mintex Extreme pads which cost be £6 + £12 p+p from a guy selling a job lot on ebay!!!
I also bought brand new caliper piston seals & bleed nipples so that everything that could be replaced was....
After a lot of questions on here I was told that the Mk5 knuckles wouldnt fit the Mk4.... although they are identical its the track rod end mounting hole that is in a slightly different position.
I was all set to start the upgrade on Sat morning - got in from work Fri nite only to find a post from Danny sayin the knuckles wouldnt fit To say i was pissed off would be an understatement - after contemplating driving to for a pair I was offered an old set from my good friend Paul (measorpaul on here) his were recently replaced due to one having a slight repair - these were good enough for me so I proceeded down to his at 1am Saturday morning to collect them .
I then spent all of the early hours prepping them and getting the NSF sorted - Now seeing as I had a little impact a few weeks back, I happened to bugger the left hub - thankfully I had a spare which I bought from Brett a few years back - this meant I could fully prepare the left side off the car and then replace the entire unit.
First light Saturday morning - I set to work - most bolts come off without any problems then the dreaded steering tie rod bolt - now I was previously advised to tighten the bolt first then slacken it....but this didnt work - due to the car being 10yrs old and probably the original nut - the nylon locking part had well and truly locked on the shaft so out with the trusty grinder
Cut off part of the knuckle so I could at least get the new hub sorted - after about 6hrs of cutting and grinding I finally chopped off the nut - now sadly due to the shaft being tapered - I couldnt get a good grip with the moles so they just kept chewing up the shaft....
Front left is on - Im gonna need new track rod ends for both sides to save time etc but its gonna be great when fully sorted.
Now due to the lack of sleep on Fri/Sat (ie 40hours) the plan was to attempt the O/S on sunday.....er...nope! Didnt get up till 5pm lol
Hopefully the rest of the setup will be sorted this week if not next weekend.
Then its time to move onto the backs - new drums, shoes, cylinders, braided hoses, axle off and new axle bushes.....
Then MOT time!!!!!
Heres how things look at present....sorry for the long post but thought Id keep u guys posted.