Thread: Considering getting an Astra

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smile Considering getting an Astra

I've been thinking about getting myself an Astra lately, and I think all my friends and family are fed up with hearing about it. My situation is I currently have a 2002 1.6L petrol Focus, but have my eye on a Mk5 1.7 CDTI Astra. I test drove an 80bhp one and found it a bit slower than my Focus, but hopefully tomorrow am going to have a go in a 100bhp one. My reason for wanting a Diesel is essentially most of my driving time is spent in fifth gear on a national speed limit major A road so I felt it made more sense in the long run.

I'm just being hesitant because of parting with a fair chunk of cash when the truth is my Focus does do everything I need for reasonably cheap. I would just like a car with a little bit more power when going from 50mph to 70mph, which I hope a Diesel would do better than my little petrol (without needing to change down two or three gears!) with its extra torque. Was wondering if anyone else here had a similar situation with previous cars, or even if anyone could confirm my hopes that the 100bhp CDTIs are quite respectable at picking up speed when they're asked to.

Also finally, most I've been looking at have done 60k miles if not more, was wondering how reliable Astras are as the miles stack up.

Cheers!

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    nah dont get an astra there crap

welcome to the site mate

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    whatever you do, don't go for the 1.7 if you can find a 1.9 within your budget. there's a world of difference. the 1.9 16v CDTI's come with either a 120bhp or a 150bhp engine, but they're the same except for the map. they can be remapped to 200bhp too

welcome to the site mate, get an astra. you won't regret it compared to the Fo***
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    i just got the 1.9 sri diesel mate certainly no probs with the 50-70 n it good on fuel i think averagin 40 mpg around town
    Go where the mind takes you, just take it in style

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    Welcome to AOC. I'd say try and get a 1.9CDTI mate, more performance and the 1.7CDTI engine isn't really that great IMO. The 1.6 petrol could potentially give you the same MPG and performance with the petrol prices would make the petrol 1.6 engine more cost effective. The 1.9CDTI 150 is sporty and can be remapped to 200bhp with ease. That should keep a smile on your face for a bit whilst returning good MPG.

Enjoy
    jam
    Its a jam thing

Haec credam a deo pio, a deo justo, a deo scito?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    not both the 1.9s are 16v one is 8 thats the 120 n the 150 is the 16v
    Go where the mind takes you, just take it in style

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Astras all the way, i have the 1.7 CDTi (80) it does what i need it to do, plus saved me a fortune on fuel in the last 3months of owning it.

Im happy with the 1.7 and am sure some other people on here are

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cool, well clearly you all like the Astra, heheh. I was looking for a while at the 1.9s but sadly the insurance cost would have been more than it was worth. Maybe in a few years a 1.9 will be more feasible but for now I think it'll have to be the 1.7.

Munkie, good to know, as saving fuel was one of my main reasons for wanting it.

Anyone got one that's done over 60k miles? I'm curious as to how gracefully they age.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter188 View Post
    not both the 1.9s are 16v one is 8 thats the 120 n the 150 is the 16v

not entirely true - the early 120bhp 1.9s were 8v, but then they did away with it and detuned the 150bhp model so the120bhp 1.9 became 16v too. they're identical engines bar the Map, as I said
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    as said above m8 if you could scrape a little more coin together the 1.9 would definitely be your best bet 150bhp to keep you entertained and still get good fuel consumption

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast