Thread: warranty jargon help

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

warranty jargon help

right, my cars warranty lasts until this september and ive done nothing to the car for various reasons (money/lack of time etc etc) but now i would like to start and cant wait to 'modify' until 8months, so out came the warranty handbook.

now, this is the ONLY quote from the book regarding modifications:

'WARRANTY TERMS AND CONDITIONS'
    SECTION 7 - this warranty does not cover the following:

"(D) repairs to vehicles which have been modified after the sale of the warranty and that modification has contributed to the failure or has failed itself."

This statement does NOT say that the warranty will become invalid although it does state that if the modification makes something else go pop, then they wont repair/replace, which is fair enough.

so, if i were to modify, and nothing goes wrong, touch wood, then my warranty will still be valid for everything else providing that such modification is not the source?

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    Effectively yes. For instance if you put lowering springs on your car and as a results the dampers went you couldn't claim that off Vauxhall. Nor could you claim if the springs were installed incorrect and led to a failure of the entire suspension unit.

Some dealers are sympathetic towards modifications and will be sensible about it, other dealers won't be. They'll use it as an excuse to void your warranty.

What kind of modifications were you thinking of doing?

jam
    Its a jam thing

Haec credam a deo pio, a deo justo, a deo scito?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well going by that, technically your warranty should be fine. but it depends on the person you're dealing with really. they might just try and find a way of linking your mods to the damage, just to save them money. but if its something completely unrelated then theres no way they could complain. aslong as you dont do stupid over-the-top/dangerous mods you should be okay.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well, i know what these 'dealers' are like and will try anything to void a warranty.

im not going to go mad with silly modifications but for example, i want to install some gauges in the dash. if my suspension fails, then they should have to deal with it. if i have an electrical fault due to the gauges then ill hold my hands up. but they couldnt void my 'suspension warranty' if they spot a modification else where unreleated?