Thread: Sten's '99 1.6 16v LS

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sten's '99 1.6 16v LS

My current Astra was purchased mainly as a cheap runabout till I finish college but also to have a bit of fun with, trying to get my hands dirty doing as much as I can myself and completing a few well chosen mods along the way.

I bought my Astra on eBay for £1400 and it's pretty good shape for it's age and mileage (currently 87k). It needs a few things doing which will keep me busy but it drives as new and the 16v engine is more pokey than I was expecting.

As I bought it:

The first change I made was to swap the standard tape player for a cheap CDR500 I won on eBay. Much better. I also gave the car a full service, which was badly needed. The oil didn't look like it had been changed in a long time.

I debadged the rear and removed all dealer stickers. My private plate was also assigned.

I fitted a Courteney panel filter, bit of a bargain at £20 new. I derestricted the airbox at the same time.

The engine was running a little lumpy on idle and low throttle so I thought I would give the throttle body a clean - what a difference! The car runs a lot smoother now. I took a quick pic of the mess on it before, but for some reason I forgot to take the 'after' pic. Needless to say, it was much cleaner! For the price of some carb cleaner I would urge everyone to do this.

So that's it. Nothing exciting really but it does the job.

No mods planned, I couldn't justify spending more than I need to really. I'm going for the 'standard but well maintained' look
    Previous Astras: 1994 Cesaro 1.8 16v | 2002 SXi 1.6 16v | 2001 Coupé 2.0 Turbo | 1999 LS 1.6 16v
    Other Vauxhalls: 2001 Vectra 1.8 16v| 2003 Vectra GSi 3.2 V6 | 2005 Signum CDTi 150

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Current mileage 89,973 so shortly heading for the 90k mark and still going well.

This holiday weekend I got a few jobs done. Including:

• Replaced the timing belt and water pump (big thanks to 'zafgsi' for doing this at a great price).
    • Carried out another oil/filter change
    • Gave my rear drums a lick of paint as they were rusty and unsightly - pics below.

Before:

And after, a nice matt black finish:

Definitely a worthwhile task for the sake of £5 for the tin of paint.

As you'll see the car was also given a good wash, along with a coat of Meguirs NXT wax. This gives a nice finish although it's not very durable. Not a major problem as I enjoy waxing the car every couple of weeks

A few clean pics from today:

I also stuck some irmscher badges on the doors, purely to replace the 'LS' badging with something more nondescript.

Previous Astras: 1994 Cesaro 1.8 16v | 2002 SXi 1.6 16v | 2001 Coupé 2.0 Turbo | 1999 LS 1.6 16v
    Other Vauxhalls: 2001 Vectra 1.8 16v| 2003 Vectra GSi 3.2 V6 | 2005 Signum CDTi 150