Thread: Thinking About Upgrading!!??!!!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thinking About Upgrading!!??!!!

Thinking about trading the sports hatch sxi in for a VXR model... Miss my old quick little hatches and SXI is too slow for me basically... was looking into a CTR but prefer the shape of the astras... so thinking about getting one of these next month... All i want to know is there any thing i should be looking out for when buying one of these?? I will be buying from a vaux dealer as will be trading myn in.. What extras do they have compared to the sxi? do they have sat nav etc etc??

Any help would be much appreciated cheers.

Rob.
    <----1.6 Astra H. 3Door Sports Hatch. Flame Red Vxr Rims, Styling Kit, Lowered---->

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i got a 1.6 sxi and yes it is slow I was also thinking about the CTR its up to u

Do you want more looks or More spped

the CTR will thrash the VXR best ones are the Ep3 for about 9000 they are 2 liter NON turbo and 200 bhp but if you spend a extra 2000 you can have it turbo and upgraded to 320 bhp which will kill the astra

Its up to you Speed - CTR looks - VXR Quick but looks - VXR

there is a CTR with 1000 bhp which is nuts.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dtox View Post
    i got a 1.6 sxi and yes it is slow I was also thinking about the CTR its up to u

the CTR will thrash the VXR best ones are the Ep3 for about 9000 they are 2 liter NON turbo and 200 bhp but if you spend a extra 2000 you can have it turbo and upgraded to 320 bhp which will kill the astra

Are you sure? The figures are a bit better for the astra but it's the fact that you've got level torque from 2000-6000rpm, it goes like stink in any gear (as long as it's got over 2000revs on it)

As standard they are quite poorly equipped compared to the competition, all the following are extras...

Satnav, Cruise control, Climate control, Sight and Light (auto lights and wipers), Xenon headlights, Bluetooth, Folding mirrors, Ashtray, 19" wheels, full heated leather.

However you do get (on new ones, second hand may be a different spec)...

Electric Windows, Mirrors (heated too), MP3 head unit with aux in, aircon, 18" alloys, recaro seats (superb), half leather, keyless entry and push button start.

Personally I've not had any problems with mine, fuel economy is around 30mpg, the seats are superb (even the half leather ones) and it does handle really well (although it understeers on the limit with the traction control off)

I would recommend it to anybody!!
    2006 Astra VXR on 19's in Arden Blue
    ExhaustsUK Catback, Eibach Sportlines, DS Ultima, Roose hose kit, Forge recirculating dump valve, Full self modded SMD conversion

Status
    East Midlands RO
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dtox View Post

but if you throw 1.8k at the vxr you could get 330bhp,
    Astra GSi Turbo
    dap-performance.co.uk
    Live in the East Midlands?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    But then you get reliability with the CTR, and you get much more car for your money IMO! VXR's are nice, but the type R is a better car in my eyes!

*I am going to go and hide now*

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    where u hiding Rob..... i'll find you somewhere....
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiegman View Post
    You know me so well and not even dinner, a movie and some flowers Tony. What sort of man do you think I am!!!!!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    but the type r's as standard dont touch a vxr, looks and performance unless ya thrash it all the way home.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alan hanson View Post
    but the type r's as standard dont touch a vxr, looks and performance unless ya thrash it all the way home.
    That's how you get the power out of the CTR, keep the revs high. That doesn't always mean it will be damaging to the engine though and you don't have to thrash it all the time as you don't always have to drive like it's stolen!

If it were my money, I would go with the CTR. That'd be for a few reasons, mainly as I think the mk5 is a less than pretty car. However it's not my money and thats only my opinoin, everyone is entitled to thiers.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    CTR for me too, as its cheaper aswell
    Observe the masses and do the opposite

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    back to thread, the guy wants to know what to look out for when buying a VXR Astra. The usual oil leaking from the bottom of the turbo. You will get a network Q warranty with it so just about everything is covered for a short time then just mechanicals afterwards. I don't know what you budget is but I and others have bought Astra VXR recently for just over 14k. There are quite a few second hand ones about but generally the price is higher than a new one
    Be Happy