Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Combi Boiler advice?

Hi all,

Do we have any plumbers with Combi boiler experience online?

I've just had a new combi boiler installed by the council and its using loads of gas.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I was informed that the new combi boilers are meant to be cheaper to run then the conventional boiler.

Before they done anything, I was using around £40 a month on gas, and the mrs is always "cold" ( i just put a jumper on or something ) so its usually always on and the termistat (sp) is as high as you can turn it.

Since thursday gone, we have used just over £10 and i've only had it turned on when we really need it. If I leave it turned on, you can litterally see the numbers spinning and the money dropping (prepay).

Is this normal? We know other people that say they use less money then they did before and their houses are like sauna's.

Cheers

Gav

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Definately use less. Ours has dropped circa 20-30% since having a combi in, plus the new fire is now gas powered and the fuel used is still lower.

Something wrong for sure

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thought as much, its the only gas appliance in teh house now, as they removed the old gas fire due to the electric s w a n k y one going in.

Do you know if milky hot water could also indicate a problem (I have left the water in a cup for a couple of minutes and it does disappear but a dust like residue is on the top)

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I dont know mate to be honest. Depends on what water is like in your area i would imagine

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hmm.. Righto mate. Thank you for your help!

If anyone else knows of a possible reason why I'd appreicate it, as the council are due to get a nice long list of complaints.

Not sure if they are doing it in your area, but alot of the council houses are getting renovated, we have just had double glazing fitted by them, and one of the windows current has a 10cm gap where they have incorrectly measured it. Fitted last tuesday, still not fixed it yet!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gRoberts View Post

Do you know if milky hot water could also indicate a problem (I have left the water in a cup for a couple of minutes and it does disappear but a dust like residue is on the top)
    i get the exact same thing since we had our combi boiler fitted mate, havent got a clue, but might know someone who has, will ask them later on
    Observe the masses and do the opposite

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Check your hot water and central heating thermostat settings on your boiler, if they are too high you will us more gas to heat the water to the higher temp.

The cloudy hot water does not happen to me with mine, but it does with my partner. I assume that some of it is to do with the pipe work and not the boiler.

I have discovered that you need to bleed the radiators well and make sure that there's enough water in the system otherwise you're in trouble! Mine started to "kettle" and it was because the central heating did not have enough water in it despite the pressure gauge being in the right place.

Still the extra jumper should help keep costs down, can't understand people who only wear shorts and a t shirt in their home at winter and crank the heating you so high....£'s
    Tell me what you've done, not what you're going to!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    christ a new combi boiler, double glazing and a new fire all for nothing and your still complaining! theres just no pleasing some people!! LOL

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    We've a 4 year old Baxi 105 - it's not a condensing boiler, but it is far too big for the house, so it heats up in about 10 mins then just idles. Ideally for our house a 80kW (or whatever units they're measured in!) is about right.

To me, milky water happens if the water is too hot - we get it if the hot tap is left to a trickle. With a good flow it's clear.

As we had oil before getting the gas in, we're down from £400 every few months for the oil, to about £30 a month gas.

I'd say the gaping hole in the window could well be your problem? Just a wild guess, you know?
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Damn forums... if you don't click on the url in the email, you don't get any responses...

We were informed by the plumbers that the Valliant combi boiler will save me money as any normal combi boiler would, but due to it being one of the best combi boilers around (according to google) it will also be another 25% saving on top.

I'll turn the hot water right down and try messing with it, but until the council confirm whether it should cost that much to run or not, I don't fancy wasting money.

Bloopeta, in Gateshead (north east) they are renovating all the houses with new windows, electrics, kitchen/bathroom suites etc. As for pleasing people, even if its free, it should be done properly.

The windows have already made a slight difference, but as you can see...

They have covered the hole you can see with the two plastic strips on the very right of the image, and since last tuesday we've been waiting for them to sort it out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast