Thread: Help wirth insurance claim

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Help wirth insurance claim

A week before Christmas someone ran into the back of my car on a crossing. I got the guys details (he's a driver for Addison Lee), reported it to the insurance the next day after which he rang me and asked me wether I wanted to go outside of insurance and that he would cover costs etc. I declined telling him I would want to go through insurance for peace of mind. (I have this telephone conversation recorded). The claim seems to be dragging out massivley. I have already had the car repaired (new bumper) but have had to pay the £400 excess myself because liability has not yet been decided. Now last week I got a letter from my insurers (Direct Line) saying:

The third party insurers have requested we provide them with a description of their driver and confirm the make, model and colour of the veichle. Please forward this to us to assist in our enquiries regarding liability.

Now, I'm going to send these details off tomorrow but to be honest I can't remember the guy very well, he was abnout 5'9" white slim/medium around 40 years old. Is this enough? Why are the insurers asking for this? Surely they know who is insured with them (I have the guys name etc?) Could he be trying to claim it isnt his fault? (He hit me on the rear bumper whilst i was waiting to cross a junction) If he does attempt to deny liability could I forward the telephone recordings I have of him apologising for hitting me and offering to repair the car?

Sorry for the essay guys and any help or advice is much appreciated.
    2001 Vauxhall Astra MK4 1.6 16v SXI Flame Red

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Near Portsmouth....... Drives a Signum 1.9 CDTi
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Better off ringing your insurance company and get them to sort it out.

You shouldn't need to give a descripion

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well the letter I got was from my insurance company. I'm going to ring them tomorrow and try to get some advice. So annoying though.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    there is no liability issue - the guy ran into the back of you he is liable. Threaten him/his insurance compnay with the County Courts - they'll soon settle. The same happened to a friend of mine, he filled in the Court forms and bugger me a week later he got his money!

Small claims (below £5k are very simple to pursue) It will cost you £80 in court fees and his insurance company will pay this.
    It is only when the last tree is felled, the last animal killed and the last fish hauled from the sea that we will realise we can't eat money.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    send them all the info you have. the taped admission too.
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    He is prob trying to fob it off on his wife/gf thats why they are asking for a description or there is a bit of fraud going on, when I did my seat in insurance we had lots of claims like that. Call the ins company and ask why they want it, if they don't tell you then just go throigh the small claims route and it will get sorted.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    He hit you from behind, he has not got a leg to stand on. Happened to me June last year, had to pay my excess but they admitted liability. Still waiting for excess. You should not need to give a description of him, I've never heard of that.

Be sure to keep pursing, do not wait for your insurers, nag nag nag nag nag until you get your money back!
    OLD CAR: A5TRA MK4 SXI TWINPORT
    NEW CAR: A5TRA MK5 SRi TURBO XP

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I know they want to know your description of him to prove it was him, but not being funny, what has that got to do with whether the numpty drove into you or not, if he hadn't where would you have gotten his insurance details from? Not only that but the voice recording shows pretty much everything they need to know!

Rng tem and ask why they need these details first. if you cant remember that well use being in a bit of shock as an excuse cos im sure thats why you didnt pay incredible amounts of attention to him. He hit your car, i knoid be lookin at my car more than the guy whwo hit it
    Vectra GSi SeatsHella Headlights
    17" alloysPiper 3" rolled exhaust
    GSi Bumper & skirts
    Dropped on Coilovers

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the support guys, I'm thinking the same sort of thing.

I just got off the phone with my insurers, the lady was quite helpfull, she said not to bother writing anything and just took my description over the phone. Looking through my details from the accident also found a peice of paper with his driver number from Addison Lee.
    She said that the reason behind this is that he isn't responding to any letters or claim forms from his insurers. He hasn't filled in or reported anything and is keeping completely quiet. I imagine he has probably repaired the damage himself and if push comes to shove he will deny any knowledge of the accident to his insurance company. I'm hoping it dosen't come to that.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lokas View Post
    Thanks for the support guys, I'm thinking the same sort of thing.

I just got off the phone with my insurers, the lady was quite helpfull, she said not to bother writing anything and just took my description over the phone. Looking through my details from the accident also found a peice of paper with his driver number from Addison Lee.
    She said that the reason behind this is that he isn't responding to any letters or claim forms from his insurers. He hasn't filled in or reported anything and is keeping completely quiet. I imagine he has probably repaired the damage himself and if push comes to shove he will deny any knowledge of the accident to his insurance company. I'm hoping it dosen't come to that.
    Guilty as charged! What an idiot! You've won!
    OLD CAR: A5TRA MK4 SXI TWINPORT
    NEW CAR: A5TRA MK5 SRi TURBO XP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast