Thread: Rear Torsion Beam Dampers Bushing...advice needed!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Rear Torsion Beam Dampers Bushing...advice needed!

Hiya,

Havent posted on here for a while, but am needing some help with my 2001 astra hatch.

Been having problems with the rear squeeking, and also problem with one of the shocks. So i thought i would change the shocks and the rear dampners on the actually axle. Now ive managed to drop the axle off the car, taken out the old bushes and now im needing to get the new ones in.

They slide on to where they are now on the piccys no probs. but no matter how hard you hit them they dont go in. Im after any advice on getting these little buggers in. Im the haynes bible it says you a long bolt, washers, nuts and a socket or metal tubing. is it a case of getting a massive socket (65-70mm) and the winding the bush in to the beam??

If someone else has done these before then would be great to know how youve done it

Thanks!
    Richard.
    Chopper666

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    it needs to be drawn in or pressed in to ensure it goes in parallel with the hole in the axle.

Whacking it with a hammer is most likely gonna make it try to go in at an angle, or damage it at worst

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ok, would that be somthing i could do myself, or would it be somthing a garage could easiley do?

im guessing its a case of finding a large socket, or metal tube that will fit on the beam. Then a bolt that goes thru the socket and thru the bush. Then tighten up the bolt so it slowly pulls itself thru?
    Chopper666

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Its something you can do if you have the bits to hand, or a garage should have no problems at all doing it.

im guessing its a case of finding a large socket, or metal tube that will fit on the beam. Then a bolt that goes thru the socket and thru the bush. Then tighten up the bolt so it slowly pulls itself thru?[
    Yep, that's pretty much spot on - big socket/tube, big bolt, and plenty of silicone grease to help ease it in.

It sometimes helps to carefully file a chamfer on the end of the bush to help in getting started, after that its' just a case of winding it in - jest keeping it moving slowly and gradually

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i guess you could clamp it in a vice and do the vice up to insert the bush????
    Astra VXR - Arden Blue, Diamond cut 19's, Cruise Control, Debaged, Folding Mirrors, CD70 NAVI and CID + Aux-In, Factory Bluetooth, Piano Black Interior Trim, Full Milltek Unresonated Exhaust

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Any progress report on this???

I urgently need to do mine pretty pronto - but upgrading entire brake setup & hoses so may as well do it all at the same time.

What we lookin at timescale wise and how easy to do?

Did u source genuine/pattern parts? Saw some on the bay for about £45 delivered for the pair....

Any help/advice appreciated.