Status
    Soft Top VTEC :)
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

1.4 16v to C20XE conversion?

Evening all

I've got a 2001 mk4 astra 1.4 16v and basically have been offered a C20XE engine at a reasonably low price...

Was just wondering If anyone has done this before? I know one problem I'm going to get is the fact that C20XE run on carbs and mines an injection or if there would be any other problems I'm going to incur? The gearbox is an F13 one and my car is a 4 stud if thats any help

Having a good long think about this, and would really appreciate any info/input or whether its going to be one big ball ache
    FULL Black Leather Heated coupe interior for sale! £200!!!
    Click Here

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You have to think, is the car worth the effort and pain of doing the conversion and doing all the brakes, driveshafts etc, or is it just easier to buy a 2.0 Sri or the likes.
    Imo, it's not worth it, use the car for a few more months, then sell it on and get an SRI or something bigger even.
    But that's just me, hope it helps buddy!
    Number 365 VXR

Status
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hmmm

I did think similar

The brakes themselves are all right, got discs all round, may just get a few mods for this astra, and then come to get a 1.8 16v or a 2.0 16v a few of the mods'll still fit it

Cheers for the input
    Click Here

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ohh, did you do a disc conversion then?
    Yeah do a few mods to it, keep it for a bit then whent he time comes you can sell it and get a bigger engine.
    Number 365 VXR

Status
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LJ_Astra View Post
    Ohh, did you do a disc conversion then?
    Yeah do a few mods to it, keep it for a bit then whent he time comes you can sell it and get a bigger engine.
    To my surprise, there were already discs on it when I bought it

But I'm assert that my astra is an ex police car! keep finding more and more things on it daily that make me think it was, ie holes in the roof that have been fillered, marks on the doors where vinyls have been, holes in the rear of the glovebox etc.
    Click Here

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toms1989 View Post
    To my surprise, there were already discs on it when I bought it

But I'm assert that my astra is an ex police car! keep finding more and more things on it daily that make me think it was, ie holes in the roof that have been fillered, marks on the doors where vinyls have been, holes in the rear of the glovebox etc.
    a 1.4 with discs all round is almost certainly an ex cop car....add the fact theres holes in the roof then it dont take a genius to work out it was used by the boys in blue lol

as for the conversion....If the price is a good one and u can do all the labour on the cheap or even yourself then go for it.

might be worth researching threads by a member called "pepe" on here - iirc his estate started life as a 1.6 8v and now houses an XE redtop.

Status
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeordieBandit View Post
    a 1.4 with discs all round is almost certainly an ex cop car....add the fact theres holes in the roof then it dont take a genius to work out it was used by the boys in blue lol

as for the conversion....If the price is a good one and u can do all the labour on the cheap or even yourself then go for it.

might be worth researching threads by a member called "pepe" on here - iirc his estate started life as a 1.6 8v and now houses an XE redtop.
    Wasnt too sure if it was a taxi or not

I think really I should do Brakes before anything, tis why I set that thread up before aswell

Cheers for the info mate
    Click Here

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    do it!

you will find that a lot of people on here will say dont bother buy a GSI instead its cheaper in the long run etc.
    Yes it will be cheaper but it wont be as much fun. If you have a real passion for cars and the knowledge to do a full transplant then go for it!

as already said you will need to uprate the breaks and suspension (the new engine is going to weigh more)

i believe M-Tech do engine mount kits to allow the C generation engines to be fitted to the MK4 astra.

You will also need a new gear box to handle the extra power and torque

Status
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A5TRA 59ORT View Post
    do it!

you will find that a lot of people on here will say dont bother buy a GSI instead its cheaper in the long run etc.
    Yes it will be cheaper but it wont be as much fun. If you have a real passion for cars and the knowledge to do a full transplant then go for it!

as already said you will need to uprate the breaks and suspension (the new engine is going to weigh more)

i believe M-Tech do engine mount kits to allow the C generation engines to be fitted to the MK4 astra.

You will also need a new gear box to handle the extra power and torque
    So do you reckon that the F13 box wouldn't cope?

I's just like to keep it as its relatively short and would prefer acceleration
    Click Here

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    id say go for the red top aswell! its always gd 2 c someone do something diff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast