Thread: Mk3 Footwell Leak

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Mk3 Footwell Leak

Been watching the forum for a while and finally got round to signing up. Had a problem recently with my car, it leaks.

Its a 97 5dr Astra, i recently had to change the pre-tensioner on the passengers seat and while the seat was out i decided to check where the wiring was for heated seats, i found it under the carpet insulation worrying close to a puddle. With the front interior (seats, carpet, some insulation) i've discoverd that it must be coming from somewhere central, as the insulation linning the bulkhead is dry on the left (Passengers) and right (drivers) sides on the edge of the vehicle.

Logic has driven me to conclude that it must be draining through from the pollen filter (which is bone dry) housing, and seeping down to where i imagine the heater vent central housing is, and going from there. I am going to try and remove the pollen filter housing over the weekend (car is covered for now), by removing the housing, clearing out the crap and resealing it.

My question is what do i use to seal it, and where do i get some from, if its silicone sealer will any ol' DIY sealer do, or would car-specific be a wiser choice.

Also if there are any other ideas in head as to where else i might check for a leak i would apreciate it.

Thanks

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I wouldn't use silicone as it is not very good.
    It only needs to be compatible with the materials it is in contact with, so not car specific.
    I would use LOCTITE 5900 or 5910, this can also be used on engine gaskets etc etc, a million and one uses, and is around £6 a tube but WILL stop leaks.
    tabetha

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had a similar problem especially if the car was parked on a slope and it rained heavily, Solved the problem by cleaning the drain holes in the bulk head and cleaning out all the crud in the central drain rubber tube which didn't drain the water. Also with the car parked on the slope it compounded the issue because the water filled up and ran back into the car.

But i suspect you have already checked the heater materix which may have a slight leak?