Thread: Amp wanted - pls help me avoid the pitfalls

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Amp wanted - pls help me avoid the pitfalls

I want to get a 2 channel amp for the front (would consider a 4 channel as well if there wasn't too much difference in pricing to enable me to amp the rears as well)

The problem - Money is tight.
    Excluding the cabling, I would say my budget is around £80-90 max for it (would prefer about £50 ish if possible)

This amp can be either new or a slightly better second-hand - Just want some ideas of brands and models that are worth considering.
    I want it to be fairly loud and be accurate in its reproduction at these levels.
    (asking a lot I know - if I had more cash I would spend more but that just isn't going to happen)

I am keeping a beady eye on eBay and then researching any apparent deals to see if its a bargain or not - and typically most of the ones that are frequently on there seem to have a consensus of AVOID AVOID AVOID.
    So hoping someone has some experience of the more budget side of systems and which brands are better than you would expect and which should just be avoided.

I am guessing that I want about 75-100w RMS per channel and to be as accurate as possible on my budget to give me a bit of scope when it comes to upgrading the comps at some point.
    So what are the best options available to me/others in my situation?

(its all a bit of a minefield for the 'novice' this - could do with some guides including recommended choices!)

Thanks all

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    At that power rating there isn't going to be much, i picked up a kicker kx150.2 with 75rms per channel for £130 and that was cheap.

Branding wise i'd look at something Alpine MRP T222, they're around the 70 mark. Failing that something like JBL??

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    OK - i was tired and had a few glasses of the vino and foolishly logged onto eBay........

I need say no more....!!

Its 4ch and pretty big (and I am sure its going to be crap - but dont tell me that!!)
    its:
    Dimensions (WxHxD)mm 260X58X320 Weight 3.2KG

Now is that going to be too big to pop somewhere out of the way up front like under the passenger seat?
    Is it goin to have to be a boot install?

Status
    Soft Top VTEC :)
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    JBL GT75.4 is what you are after

-4x108 watts RMS
    -2x108 watts RMS and 284 watts RMS
    -2x284 watts RMS

think those are the figures, cost £80 ish off ebay brand new
    FULL Black Leather Heated coupe interior for sale! £200!!!
    Click Here

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have already bought an amp - now I need to work out where I can fix it, preferably up front somewhere.

Wondering if anyone happens to know of any cunning places where an amp thats 260mm X 58mm X 320mm can be fitted out of sight.

Status
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    In the boot will be the only place I'm afraid! either that, make a false floor for the footwell for rear passengers
    Click Here

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ok - though as much - under the passenger seat isnt exactly roomy as far as I can tell putting my hand under there!

I know you should split the RCAs and the power down either side of the car to prevent interference in the signal - does that apply to the speaker wire as well?

can I run that where I want or should there go down the centre of the car somehow to avoid everything?

Never fitted an amp - chickened out and had a local car audio place fit my active sub for me - but it cost quite a bit and cant afford to do it again so may as well have a go!

Status
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I never split my speaker wires from the RCAS, and it didnt make a difference to my install at all
    Click Here