AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Astra 1.7 LS DTI ECO 2001

Hi

Can anyone help me out with this.
    I was driving my car last night when suddenly the engine just cut dead, managed to get it pushed round the corner (thanks to the random person who helped me out), thought (hoped) it might be the battery and left it for a while then tried to start it again.
    The car is trying to turn over but stops almost straight away, it's weird all the lights come on as normal but it just won't start.
    Called the AA out and the guy said it looks like something has slipped down and is jamming the engine, possibly a valve or maybe the cambelt.
    When the bonnet is open if you try to start it you can see the engine come forward then kind of jerk to a stop straight away.
    Has anyone got any ideas Please Help!!!

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sounds like the problem i had with mine. Just turns over and dies.
    It is the fuel ECU playing up (very very common on the 1.7DTi)... you need to take it somewhere with proper diagnostic equipment and they will be able to test it. The fuel ECU is what regulates the fuel going to the engine.
    If it comes up with 'spill valve malfunction' on a diagnostic machine, its 95% sure it will be the fuel ECU on the back of the engine.. i had it go twice on mine!
    Dont let them replace the spill valve thou, the AA thought the same about mine (jammed or something) but there diagnostic equipment cant read the 1.7's ECU.
    Sadly a reconditioned fuel ecu(if it is that) is around £250 thou....
    No longer a Astra Owner
    Now Drives -2006 Skoda Octavia vRs in Race Blue

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    my mates astravan done that turns out the head gasket was away and the mechanic said the engine had "hydrauliced" so the engine was nackered

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the ideas so far, looks like I am gonna have to get it towed to a diagnostic place and take it from there
    I'll keep you posted
    Cheers