Thread: Alloy wheel query

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Alloy wheel query

about 8 month ago i bought a 2.2 sri 3door on an x. it was in a bit of a mess, but im trying to tidy it up, the suspension was knackered so i had it new shocks and springs with what i think the shop said was a drop of 40, on 17's. although i was told it shouldnt scrape by a few people, it still did when turning and really bad with the slightest of weight in it.
    i posted a thread on her a while ago about my problem and a someone called geordie bandit was very helpful and mentioned something about offsets. ive not got a clue about owt like this so if anyone could help it would be much appreciated. i wasnt sure what the wheels were called as they came with the car but ive had a search and they look like they could be the now discontinued wolfrace ur7. would they be the wrong offset and if so would there be anything i could do with them to sort it out? or could there be another reason for my problem? and is it dangerous to be driving with the wrong offset? also for future reference what offset would i buy? thanks

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If you take your wheels off and look on the back of the spokes there will be some numbers stamped on there, your looking for ET followed by 2 numbers, this tells you the offset of the wheel.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Anything between ET38-45 is a safe bet of the Astra G with 17's wider than about 7.5j (inches wide).

Its not especially dangerous driving with an incorrect offset, however if the wheels stick out from the arches the MOT tester may not like it.

The worst you will get is increased 'tramlining' of the front wheels when driving over ruts or imperfections in the road.

However, for the sake of your wheelarches, and wheel bearings, I would advise sorting the problem. There are places than can machine down the mounting face of the wheel, but the best bet would be ot scour the classifieds on here and on E-bay. 2nd hand Astra -fitment 17's and even 18's are common, and can be had in good nick with tyres from £250 upwards. You can then sell your existing wheels to recoup some of the cost.
    I>< Silver Coupe ><I

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    http://www.driverstechnology.co.uk/wheel-offset.htm
    this might tell you abit more about what offset is.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    it passed mot recently but maybe it wasnt too noticeable. thanks hep just had a look at the site and its basically that my offset is too short? im confused!! think my heads gonna break soon!! ill have a look at the offset later, would i possibly see it without removing the wheel? also while im here does anyone know of anywhere in south yorkshire area that does parts? (need a rear bumper, mines hangin off and covered in shit from a daft extension thing that was attached when i got it). lost my temper and ripped it off taking the bumper with it!!