Thread: Some interesting pics I found of the X20XEV dual tract inlet manifold

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)

Some interesting pics I found of the X20XEV dual tract inlet manifold

I found this while serachign for something else. Never seen what the dual tract inlet route looks like, but i have now.... Though I would share these images with you.

Taken from

http://forum.opel-club.ru/index.php?showtopic=7104

With sections split and obviously manky

Now cleaned

Hey YOU See Oooour Reeegin Noooo ! Toss Yer Caber Here

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    If someone ... for example me, removes those lamels(valves, vents,...) аnd the air enters all the time from everywhere what will be the result? I want more air for my engine but this thing is not for racing .
    I'm thinking to replace it with another one from C18XE, but in this case can anybody tell me what will happen with those vents and their control unit?

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Yeah you are best to try an inlet manifold from a C18XE and a Z20LET as they are one in the same manifold. The latter will require the studs inserted to mount the throttle.

I have a Z20LET manifold that I got to try on my X20XEV, just not had the opportunity to fit it.

There should be no loss of torque at low revs but my loose a little at high revs.... But theh again the C18XE produces more than the book figure and the only differences are that it has the cast aluminium inlet manifold and does not use an EGR, so by power of deduction I started fittign parts to match the setup of a C18XE in a bid of gaining power.

I blanked off the EGR and that smooths out the throttle response. I just need to try the inlet manifold and see the difference

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Here is a pic of the coolant sensor housing that is fitted on teh C18XE and the Z20LET that I have fitted. The red arrow points to the collant sensor.

You can also see the Z20LET inlet cast aluminium manifold

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    man this is great info. But why do you think that there will be a loss of power in high revs? Personally me I think that there is no way for a inlet manifold to be more restrictive than this one we have on the X20XEV. This is a 2 liter engine and needs to be feeded with air a lot.

PS About the EGR, I can remove it but without new ECU to command the engine without EGR the problem is not solved. I was thinking about a C18XE ECU with remap and a simple sheet of iron beneath the EGR to stop circulation of the gas inside will be the best but I'm still trying to avoid the change of ECU.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    the Pre 1996 X20XEVs had a single path manifold too,

the dual tract just added a bit more low end torque, effectively giving you 2 differently tuned manifold in one.
    How Tos . Parts For Sale
    The two most life changing experiences you'll ever have. Finding Jesus, and having a baby.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    As Mark menioned, the dual tract manifold as fitted to the post 1996 X20XEV's and also the X18XE as fitted to the Vectra allow the low end torquo at low revs but as the revs increase the manifold pressure actuated a plunger to flip the paddles that you can see to allow a shorter inlet air flow path allowing more air to get to the cylinders quicker. It flips over at approx 3000-3500 revs from memory.

The cast aluminium one that has one flow or air may not be much better but its worth a try. I am sure I read on VVOC that there were gains to be found just by swapping manifold. Whether this is as a result of just having a cleaner inlet manifold or its due to the different style of manifold is yet to be found, but I am keen to give it a go.

The other interesting thing is that if no gains are to be had from switching the dual tract inlet to a single flow inlet on the X20XEV as its manifold is more efficient than the C18XE/Z20LET, then by power of deduction, fitting a dual tract inlet manifold to a Z20LET would prove benficial you would say. With forced induction and a dual tract giving a more direct air flow high up the rev range I would say that gains could possibly be had for Z20LET owners.

I have a spare dual tract inlet manifold is any Z20LET owners wish to try this theory out.......

Regards to this

Quote Originally Posted by simbon4o View Post
    PS About the EGR, I can remove it but without new ECU to command the engine without EGR the problem is not solved. I was thinking about a C18XE ECU with remap and a simple sheet of iron beneath the EGR to stop circulation of the gas inside will be the best but I'm still trying to avoid the change of ECU.
    You don't want to or need to remove the actual EGR so to speak as it will flag up an error engine management light.....

But what you can do, as I have is to fit the coolant sensor housing from a C18XE or Z20LET (or even just get a blanking plate fitted) then get an old EGR valve and dismantle the mechanical plunger mechanism from the electronic solenoid connector block. Leave the connector on the yellow soloid block and just mount it onto the ignition copil pack using one of the mounting hole that would attach it to the mechnical plunger. Job sorted, you won't get any engine management lights as the ECU will still think its connected and you will have no exhaust gasses clogging up the inlet manifold.

If you need pictures of this let me know.

You can also just fit a blanking plate and mount the EGR to the side like this

http://www.z22se.co.uk/forum/userpix/13_egr_3.jpg

But this is assuming your EGR is working as if the plunger is sticking it will flag up and EM light plus I think it looks untidy personally.

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    I noticed the zlet manifold is up for sale Mark, did you ever get around to fitting either of these manifolds to test out the theory?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    So thats what it looks like inside...

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Conrad,

I never got the chance to fit the manifodl from a Z20LET, but I ahve read on a coupel of forums that it gave up to 8 BHP in gains. So as I antisipated the C18XE got much of its gains from the lack of EGR and different inlet manifold from the X20XEV as the cams are the same.