Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Rear drum query

Right folks..... here goes

A few weeks back my brake fluid warning light came on - checked the reservoir and was just above the MIN level
    Topped it up and all was ok.....

Now recently Ive decided to undertake a full upgrade on the brake front. Bigger brakes are being fitted to the fronts and the plan for the rears was new shoes, cylinders, braided hoses & fluid change....

OSR drum came off with ease - gave it all a clean up (for now) and refitted. Whereas NSR drum is totally seized on. I tried levering it off with a crowbar at times but it was only budging about 2mm max (this was on Saturday btw) I then decided to push it back on and leave it for someone else to fix!

BUT when the drum was back on it wouldnt move (YES, handbrake was off) handbrake cable was also free too....
    I considered inserting a tool of some sort in the rear of the backplate to try and prise the shoes away from the drum using the ratchet thingy but decided against it and leave it for a garage to fix....

Now after a bit of thinkin today I was wondering if its possible that the springs on the shoes could have snapped forcing the shoes outwards and locking onto the drum?? Maybe in doing so, they have moved away from the cylinder and popped the pistons which would explain the loss of fluid...

This is what Im hoping it is as theres no visible sign of brake fluid elsewhere and failing that it would be the clutch. It was about 1cm above MIN level on Sat....

Anyway that aside.....when I refitted the wheel the fecker wouldnt even turn!!!! I had to roll the car back and forward to release it but it still makes an awful grinding noise....presumably shoes on drum, drum on backing plate!

How the hell do I remove the drum to see the situation underneath?

Would a hub puller of sorts do the trick?

As I say, its goin into a garage asap (hopefully somewhere with mates rates) for the lot to be changed.... I'll then replace the fronts myself - that Im confident about.

HELP

**Apologies for massive post **

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It's more than likely worn drum with a lip on the edge (just like discs) that's causing this.

The shoes don't cover the full width of the inside of the drum, so there is a small lip on the outside edge that is still the original diameter, and the rest of the drum gets worn away (bigger dia) - even a slight lip can cause the drums to be a bugger to get off.

On the back plate there's a wee holes that you can push a screwdriver in to ease back the handbrake cam, which should knock the shoes in enough to get them off. - it's on the towards the rearmost edge on the back plate.

you'll need three hands tho (or a well placed knee

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    had a similar situation on the missus' clio, the friction lining inside the drum had started to wear, and then when it was disturbed the lining came away and bound itself in with the shoes and locked the drum out. we ended up taking the drum apart and applying a bit of brute force and ignorance to get it off. we then left the shoes & springs out as we were replacing the whole drum anyway, and then drove it round to the garage for them to look at. remember to clamp your brake hose on that side and to take some chocks to stick under the wheels when you park up if you are going to do this though!
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    so should i invest in some new drums then...or just try and get them off - replace all the bits n bobs and whack em back on...done about 90K

Although if that is the reason for them stuck on then it still doesnt explain the dreaded fluid loss.

Really hope its not the g/box

All this expenditure when I plan to do a conversion next year - Seems a little wasted but guess safety comes first

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Yip I would get some new drums if it was me.... You can get EBC ones.

As mentioned it will be the lip that is catching on the shows when trying to fit the drum. I take it you are familiar with stripping and re-fitting the rear show mechanism, if not take a pic of it to jog your memory.

As for fluid loss, check around the brakle cylinder for fluid in the seals. Also check for any fluid loss from the bleed nipples.
    Hey YOU See Oooour Reeegin Noooo ! Toss Yer Caber Here

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    force it off, i had to do this when i had drums, i will come off! then you can manually adjust the auto adjuster back so the drum spins freely! it may pop the shoe off the piston but that just pushes back on
    ARDEN BLUE GSI

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeah, Mark - I took pics of the side I managed to get off but decided in the end to leave it to sum1 else to do... I really havent got the time nor the inclination to be lying on the ground in this weather tryin to change them .

the shoes dont even need replacing as such but seeing as im fitting braided hoses all round - the price of new wheel cylinders & shoes only came to £25 so thought i may as well.

Will just have the original drums refitted for the time being -see what the performance is like before considering changing them...especially as the entire lot may be stripped out this time next year

Its in the garage on Thurs anyway (or at least I think it is cos ive nicked someone elses booking) so maybe they can get it off... if not then plan B.... not sure what that is yet tho.