Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Fuel consumption and things to check/replace

Hi,

I am just wondering what things to check or replace to improve my fuel consumption. It seem to be drinking it quite a lot which I have noticed over a long period of time.

So what things should I check or replace to try and improve on what its doign just now...? I very very rarely hammer the car as I always like to take my time and monitor the miles against fuel use.

Any help or advice would be grateful.

I will be changing the fuel filter tomorrow as a start and will inspect the plugs at the same time. The throttle bodie was cleaned out a couple of weeks back.

One thing that is annoying me is the guage seems to drop by a significant amount on occasion. What areas shoudl I be checkign for leaks or damage?

Also can anyone tell me what the pipes are at the top of the engine bay on the drivers side (in front of the suspension turret but before the skuttle panel) as one of the connections doesn't look to be right.
    Hey YOU See Oooour Reeegin Noooo ! Toss Yer Caber Here

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Replace your thermostat if you have'nt already, reason for this is, i was playing around with the computer on mine the other day which also happens to suffer with poor consumption, and the injector time on my engine was very high considering how long it had been running and temp expected, temp gauge was also slightly low too, if the engine is not operating as should be, temp wise it will over fuel which will cause petrol consumption to be high, i'll post back my reports with new thermostat fitted
    Post up a picture of the wires / pipes your meaning and i'll have a go at answering
    HIGHDOWN Car Audio & Security
    Clifford, Genesis, Rockford, CDT Audio

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    coolant temp sensor and lambda sensor.
    Vauxhall history - 13S | 14NV | C16XE | X20XEV

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I will try out a replacement temp sensor and then look at the lambda sensor.

How many mile are you gettign to a tank Col...? Have you got any engine changes from standard?

Mine has a Lexmaul manifold, 200 cell sports cat, Magnegors and standard plugs. I cleaned out the throttle last week. but i have noticed the probelm with the fuel guage and use for quite a while now. I am also going to have a look at the fuel lines and tank to see if there is an issue there.

I will also try a spare Air Flow Meter to see if that has any effect.

I haaven't had a chance to get a pic of the pipe probelm I was also askig about but its located at the top of the drivers wing behind the suspension turret, there are 2 pipes with green connections on them.

You can see the pipes better in this pic

Hey YOU See Oooour Reeegin Noooo ! Toss Yer Caber Here

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post

How many mile are you gettign to a tank Col...? Have you got any engine changes from standard?
    just the Veccy C diesel air intake and air box mod.

Usually average 320miles on NUL and 350 on SUL. I do very little town driving though.
    Vauxhall history - 13S | 14NV | C16XE | X20XEV

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well the more air you have rushing in to the engine the more fuel will be used to keep the air/fuel ratio correct, or at least what the std ecu believes is correct. Have you had the car remapped yet Mark?

Vauxhalls have always been bad for inaccurate fuel guages, i'm always around 30mpg. So its about £20 for 130 miles or from the tank being very full to just above the half. X20XEV with Vectra C, derestrict and ITG Panel Filter.

Offtopic: How much of a difference did you find going to the lexmaul and sport cat? Got the headtune throttle body fitted yet?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Agree with thermostat, worked well when changed on my 1.6 8v giving more on average 5 mpg more as the car warmed up properly.

Good tyres & correct inflation.

Exhaust - no holes and all sealed nice.

Good luck