Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

heavy clutch

noticed this on a drive from brizzle to cardiff today-

on short journeys the clutch on my 2001 mk4 1.6 sxi is pretty light, however on a longer journey,paticulary sitting in 5th on the motorway for a while, when i go to change down the clutch feels markedly heavier and stiffer.

am i worrying over nothing,or could this indicate a problem?

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    could it not just be down to not using it for a while and your legs go a bit stiff due to not moving, as that happens to me if i drive in 5 for a couple of hundred miles with out changing

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well i was driving for maybe 40 mins in 5th. My knees arent great but my legs dont stiffen up that quickly :P

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    whats the brake/clutch fluid level/condition like

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Same happens with mine, if i have been booting it down the m'way its a bit heavier afterwards, soon sorts itself out though I wouldn't worry as I have just had all my fluids changed during the service and its still the same.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    fluid levels are fine,i guess its just a characteristic thing. curious though,what would cause this?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I would try changing the clutch fluid

Quote Originally Posted by Skell18 View Post
    Same happens with mine, if i have been booting it down the m'way its a bit heavier afterwards, soon sorts itself out though I wouldn't worry as I have just had all my fluids changed during the service and its still the same.
    Bet you they haven't changed the cluth fluid, they are a pain to get to and the bleed nipples are tight usually ( and plastic ), not helped by the fact they aren't mounted solid and move around while trying to undo them.
    If your feeling keen try bleeding the the clutch and getting clean fluid through it as it will never have been done and it will tend to get quite hot in the bellhousing where the release bearing is.
    HIGHDOWN Car Audio & Security
    Clifford, Genesis, Rockford, CDT Audio

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    sorry to hijack this thread but u know the hydraulic hose that enters the gearbox - is it meant to be tight? Cos on my F13 the hose spins freely altho nothing appears to be leaking...

just my fluid is goin down and thinkin clutch could be the cause - all brakes and components are undergoin refurb so just lookin at other causes.

How hard is it to bleed the clutch

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I'll just pop outside for a smoke & have a look for you old bean
    Nippy out there !
    The plastic top of the release bearing comes out the top of the box at a right angle and the rubber flexible hose slots into this and is held in by a metal clip so yes it allows it to move, if there is no sign of a fluid leak around it then you can say it's ok, problem with hydraulic release bearings is they weep fluid into the bell housing and it can take a while untill you notice a drip underneath from the box area if the bearing is faulty. Although if your losing fluid and it's not from the braking system anywhere, the only other place is the release bearing.
    Regards bleeding, they are a pain, i do mine from underneath, 10 or 11mm spanner, the bleed nipple can be tight and as i said they aren't mounted solid and flex about so you just have to hope it comes undone easily, if you have access to a form of fluid sucker use one of these to suck the fluid through, this is how i do them, saves the hassle of having someone in the car pumping
    HIGHDOWN Car Audio & Security
    Clifford, Genesis, Rockford, CDT Audio

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the heads up m8 I will have a word with my people and get them to check it and change if needed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast