Thread: New Laptop needed, spec advise needed please

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

New Laptop needed, spec advise needed please

Ok, i have a laptop, 2 years old, but i recently damaged one of the buttons, the A lol It works but you have to press it really hard so it irritates me.
    Also i've been thinking i wanted to upgrade it so it worked a bit faster, its just a bit slow to open programes etc
    So i'm now thinking, rather than spend money fixing/upgrading it i might just as well sell this one and buy a new one?!

So my question is, how much i gotta spend to get one a bit better than the one i have, and where from and how much do ya reckon i'll get for this one? or should i just upgrade it?

Current Laptop Spec:
    Acer 2700 Travel mate
    Intel(R)
    Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
    3.00 GHz, 192MB of Ram

I have no idea wot any of this means lol

Also has Windows XP
    & a sticker that says Graphic by ATI mobility radeon 9000IGP?!
    SXI Cheeky Bird!
    2003 1.6 16v Black!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    good timing. I just bought a brand new laptop yesterday. i got it from staples buynow, pay 6months l8r.

spec: HP pavillion dv6000

250GB hard drive,
    2GB memory (very fast)
    Nvidea 7100 dedicated graphics card (great for movies and games)
    AMD dual core turion processor @ 1.9ghz (fast opening times)

£499.99

HTH

Nathan
    The Man with a new Plan

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    is that better than mine then? lol
    I dont understand wot all the spec means so sorry if its a silly question lol
    SXI Cheeky Bird!
    2003 1.6 16v Black!

Status
    Turbo Jizz Golfer !
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    What will you mainly be using it for?

If your not looking for anything too fancy, Asdas are doing Acer laptops on sale for £300. I just bought one for a colleague at work and it seems pretty good for the price.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I dont do much on it really lol, mostly surf the web, msn, play and download music.
    Sometimes i use word and excel etc but mostly just media player and i also store photo's and music on here.

I've seen the ones in tesco and asda etc but as i dont know wot any of the spec means i dont know if they are better than wot i have or not?! i dont wanna down grade for more money really.
    SXI Cheeky Bird!
    2003 1.6 16v Black!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think tescos are doing a couple of acers, one at £300 my brother just got one of these and they are are a good job, then one at about £380 which i think is dual core with 2gb of ram and a bigger hdd, will be a lot faster than your current laptop. But tbh you could fix and upgrade your current laptop for about £60 if your willing to do the work yourself, new keyboard from ebay can be had for about £30 (brand new acer part) 5 minutes to fit and you could add another 512mb of ram into that for about £20-30 and it will speed it up.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Do the work my self, lol i wouldn't have a clue, i'd have to take it somewhere which i guess will cost a fair bit?!
    SXI Cheeky Bird!
    2003 1.6 16v Black!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sausages View Post
    Do the work my self, lol i wouldn't have a clue, i'd have to take it somewhere which i guess will cost a fair bit?!
    It is pretty easy to fit a keyboard, usually two screws hold on the keyboard bezel which pops off then reveals 2 or more screws holding on your keyboard, take them off, lift the keyboard over and there will be a ribbon connecting it to the motherboard, pop the clip off the connector and pull it out, reverse to put it back together. Depending on where you go will charge different amounts, for us to fit a keyboard and some ram we usually wouldn't charge more than about £20 as its a 2 minute job, but we specialize in laptop repairs. Phone a few local PC places and ask, also check if they actually do the repairs and don't send them off to somewhere else as a lot of places just send them off, in northern Ireland i would say most of not all of the big computer companies either send the laptops to us or refer their customers to us.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You lost me after the "two screws hold on the keyboard" lol
    I'll maybe ring about then and see how much its gonna cost, i just thought it'd be just as cheap to buy a new one.
    SXI Cheeky Bird!
    2003 1.6 16v Black!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Its a pretty good laptop that, the p4 3ghz is plenty of power for what you are using it for and with the extra ram it will speed it up a lot, there is most likely a 256mb stick of ram in it and 64mb is being used by the graphics card. Only thing about those CPUs are that they are very very warm and battery life isn't great.

Edit: Also it might be worth while taking the A key off again and making sure everything is clicked into place and the rubber is sitting properly as it might just be in wrong, i have seen this a good few times and could possibly fix your keyboard.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast