Thread: Driving Without Due Care And Attention - How Long To Issue A NIC?

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Driving Without Due Care And Attention - How Long To Issue A NIC?

As some of you may know i had an accident on the 11th December 2007 in which i hit the back of a stationary car on a dual carriagway.

The police attended and after the paramedics had checked me and cleaned me up the Policewomen cautioned me that i was going to be reported for 'Driving Without Due Care and Attention'. Her exact words were 'you may here something and you may here nothing'. To this day i have still heard nothing (around 5 weeks now).
    I am just a bit jittery about buying a new car at the mo as if i do get done for this offence i.e. get points etc i have seen how much my insurance will go up.
    How long have they got to issue an NIP (Notice Of Intention To Prosecute) and if i do get charged what are the likely fines and points?

Thanks in advance
    No longer a Astra Owner
    Now Drives -2006 Skoda Octavia vRs in Race Blue

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    According to my misses (works at RAC legal advisor) you could look at up to 9 points, but it depends on the serverity of the offence i think.

Also its a NIP mate You use a NIC to connect your PC to a network

If she said 'you may here something and you may here nothing' I'm guessing it was just to worry you and nothing will ever come of it. After all its more paperwork for her.
    Yet another p0100 and p0110, fault code sufferer with the X18XE1

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    if you havent heard anything by the end of the month I would say you will be ok. I am sure someone could tell you 100% how long though.
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blistz View Post
    According to my misses (works at RAC legal advisor) you could look at up to 9 points, but it depends on the serverity of the offence i think.

Also its a NIP mate You use a NIC to connect your PC to a network

If she said 'you may here something and you may here nothing' I'm guessing it was just to worry you and nothing will ever come of it. After all its more paperwork for her.
    Cheers rich... bit a typo there on my part! Forgot your misses worked at RAC i remember you saying now.
    I know some people have been offered courses instead of points if its their first Due Care and Attention offence (which mine is).. it is around £190 to take it but nothing gets put on your licence.. Anyone know if this is true?
    No longer a Astra Owner
    Now Drives -2006 Skoda Octavia vRs in Race Blue

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You won't get a NIP as they have already cautioned you, they have 6 months from the date of the offence to decide whether to proceed with the case or not.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yup 6 Months...

I had to wait 5 and a half months from Caution to Prosecution for my speeding conviction 3 Years ago!

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kervaig View Post
    You won't get a NIP as they have already cautioned you, they have 6 months from the date of the offence to decide whether to proceed with the case or not.
    Absolutely spot on, you were given a verbal NIP, they now have 6 months from the date of the offence to issue a summons. Don't think that you are in the clear untill the 6 months has passed. I know 2 people that were summonsed within the last 7 days of the 6 month deadline.
    From the Southeast? Find your next meet here

The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence is limited.

At least I have chicken!

WellOilBeefHooked

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I got done for Driving for without due care back in december 2006, and they gave me a six week ban and no points but a rather large fine.

They dont offer any courses for that offence only drink drving i do believe.

.....Oh and your insurance will rocket

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    they also do the course for speeding offences too as my dad did one a couple of years ago otherwise he would have gone to 13 points and lost his licence
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There is a course they do offer instead of the points for driving without due care and attention as a freind of mine 2weeks ago knocked a lad off his moped at speed due to not looking in his blind spot but thats only if its your first offence if not then you'll have points and a fine,My dad went into the back off a car about 3years back and got 6points and a hefty fine, wrote his and the other blokes car off
    Astra Mk4 GSi