Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to change from petrol to diesel.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smile Looking to change from petrol to diesel.

Hi everyone, this is my first post on here.

I currently own a 1.6, 8 valve petrol mark 4 Astra estate.
    I`m looking to change to the 1.7 16v dti or cdti estate, again in the mark 4 bodyshape.
    I went to look at a nice clean dti example yesterday, well priced, but a couple of issues bothered me.

Firstly, after starting the engine from cold, I noticed the coolant seemed to be re-circulating via the coolant header tank. Is this normal on this model of engine, or could it be pointing to cooling system / head gasket problems?

Secondly, when the engine was revved (with the car stationary) there seemed a distinct change in engine noise ( but not a rattle ) about a third to halfway up the rev range. The noise returned to a normal diesel tickover as the revs dropped.
    The only other diesel I`ve owned was the old 1.7 non turbo Astravan, and the engine noise didn`t alter at all when it was revved.
    Again, do all dti`s do this, is it just the turbo affecting the engine note?

Hope you can help.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Welcome to AOC.

The coolant thing is normal, there's a permenant feed of coolant through the turbo, which is what you'd be seeing circulating.

If the engine was cold, then it'd still be on the warmup cycle, which is much knockier and harsh. This clears once the engine warms up a little. The warmup cycle has a different injection cycle which makes things a bit noisier.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the welcome and quick reply, ZS.
    Top service!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    zs has pretty much covered it, iam happy enough with my dti, a nice easy engine to work on, as i do a majority of my own work. 45 of diesel gets me around 450 miles to a tank zippin up n down the motorway and locally etc i find if you drive 80 mph ish for a bit or more u do not see the mpg you get but iam happy enough with my dti - have thought about changing it for a petrol but i think ill stick with it, the header tank thing is normal too - check the oil cooler out too as ive heard these can go etc, keep an eye on it. otherwise good solid little car - no starship enterprise but good for a daily pot about - prob no different to your current chariot

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    why you changing your current one then ? any specific reason

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers Scottyboyz.
    I have to admit, unless I`m in a rush, in the interests of better fuel consumption from my current car, and also for a more stress free drive (no lane swapping), I tend to trundle with the "artics" on the motorway. Yep, boring, I know.

If you`re getting an average of 50mpg at 80mph then I`ll be well happy with fuel consuption.

Another question, though. Is there much difference between the dti and cdti?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky26801 View Post
    Another question, though. Is there much difference between the dti and cdti?
    Not really, in the Mk4 the CDTi is 80hp instead of 75hp. Otherwise it's pretty much the same engine, it's just changed from a normal mechanical pump to an electrical one.

My housemate was getting nearly 700 miles to a tank with his Mk4 CDTi Sport, until he did this to it:

2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottyboyz View Post
    why you changing your current one then ? any specific reason
    My current one is a `99 on a T, although it`s only done 69,000 miles.
    I`ve finished paying for it so decided to trade up to a newer car.
    I tend to get about a bit, going fishing and mountain biking, hence the estate.
    I get 38 - 40mpg (combined) from this car, and was looking for better fuel consumption along with cheaper road tax, so a diesel it is!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if you go diesel chap you need to get the eco 4 type which i believe is on or around the 04 plates, apoligies if wrong, mines an x plate 2000 and its not in the cheaper tax band best part of 100 notes for 6 months, you will have to get some snaps up of your estate chap

Scott

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottyboyz View Post
    if you go diesel chap you need to get the eco 4 type which i believe is on or around the 04 plates, apoligies if wrong, mines an x plate 2000 and its not in the cheaper tax band best part of 100 notes for 6 months, you will have to get some snaps up of your estate chap

Scott
    The one I`m looking at fella is on a 54 plate but it`s one of the last of the dti`s.
    Everywhere I`ve looked says it`s in band c for tax at £115 for 12 months.
    I may be wrong here, but I thought the new bands only came into operation for cars with an 02 plate and newer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast