Thread: need some help with fitting a cd player in an astra coupe

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

need some help with fitting a cd player in an astra coupe

I've had my car for about a week, and the standard cd player didn't come with a code, and i can't find out what it is, so i've replaced it with a sony cd player which i already had.

I had great troubles with fitting it. I've fitted many cd players before, and i know it should be pretty simple. But it wasn't. The main problem is that i just couldnt fit the cd player into the DIN slot. I thought this may be because there were too many wires around the back, since i had an adapter for the steering wheel controls to work, which was pretty big. so i removed this and tried fitting it again, but i just couldnt get it right in. Is there something i need to remove inside?

Since i spent ages trying to force the cd player, i managed to scratch the centre console quite a lot, so where can i get a new one from? i'd like to mould some holders for gauges on top of the new one anyway.

Also, since the cd changer no longer works, where would i get a new glove box from? because its a waste of space keeping it in there.

And one more thing (sorry for all the questions), when i took the old radio out, the display on the little screen at the top of the centre console changed from "Inst. Cons." to "Consumpt.". So basically now it shows my average consumption instead of what i am consuming at that moment. How do i change this back? I cant find anything to do it

cheers

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    I have removed mine because of the same reasons and have installed a Sony head unit and steering wheel controls. There is barely enough space to fit it all in. My advice is to remove the glove box (6 torx screws) and then push any excess wiring down towards where the glove box area. That should help give you some space.

jam
    Its a jam thing

Haec credam a deo pio, a deo justo, a deo scito?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just keep playing about with the wires

Status
    Ex-Astra Owner
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Do what Jam suggested, i had to remove the glovebox so that i could make room for all the wires etc.

Centre console can be bought new from vauxhall for around £28 iirc, or you can take the old one out, fill and respray it yourself.

Or the cheapest way is to go to a scrap yard and pick up a centre console and glove box

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There may be a plastic triangle shaped fitting at the back of the din slot....
    Just remove this and it should be easier

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    this forum is amazing

thanks very much for all your help. i need to get hold of some torx thingys to get the glove box out. why cant they jsut use normal screws?? will halfords have them?

Status
    Ex-Astra Owner
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah halfords, homebase and any hardware store will sell torx bits, think the screws are a size 20 trox bit IIRC.