Thread: Early New Car Advice

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Early New Car Advice

Im looking at a change of a car later this year, currently drive a Mk4 1.6 Club, so not the quickest in the world Looking for something a bit quicker, but not super quick and diesel. Any recommendations on good cars to get? Obviously a Mk5 though.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    if you want a diesel mk5 you have 3 choices. the 1.7 100bhp, the 1.9 CDTi 120bhp, and the 1.9CDTi 150bhp. Go for the 150bhp model IIWY, it knocks spots off the other two, and you can remap it to 200bhp should you so wish.

A nice 1.9CDTi 150 SRi with the XP (Exterior Pack) and not only will you be driving somethng "sporty", but you'll get decent economy (40-50 mpg) too.
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peteg2004 View Post
    if you want a diesel mk5 you have 3 choices. the 1.7 100bhp, the 1.9 CDTi 120bhp, and the 1.9CDTi 150bhp. Go for the 150bhp model IIWY, it knocks spots off the other two, and you can remap it to 200bhp should you so wish.

A nice 1.9CDTi 150 SRi with the XP (Exterior Pack) and not only will you be driving somethng "sporty", but you'll get decent economy (40-50 mpg) too.
    a mate of mine has the 1.9 CDTi, it is a nice car but out of my price range really and more car than I want at the moment. Im not looking for a huge leap up just a little extra.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The 1.7 won't be any quicker than your 1.6, so you're stuck with getting a 1.9 if you want faster.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peteg2004 View Post

Totally agree. Very pleased with the performance and economy of my 1.9cdti - my first diesel and I won't ever go back to petrol.

<------ Looks at monthly fuel bill
    Twintop Design, 1.9 CDTI, Leather, Cruise Control, Keyless, Adaptive Forward Lighting, DTUK Green Box.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinTop View Post
    Totally agree. Very pleased with the performance and economy of my 1.9cdti - my first diesel and I won't ever go back to petrol.

<------ Looks at monthly fuel bill
    Hence why I want to move to Diesel! Just dont think I can go upto 1.9 in terms of buying one

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well think of the fuel saving. You will save at least a third on fuel and you'll have a car with great performance and one of the best diesel engines out there.
    Twintop Design, 1.9 CDTI, Leather, Cruise Control, Keyless, Adaptive Forward Lighting, DTUK Green Box.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinTop View Post
    Well think of the fuel saving. You will save at least a third on fuel and you'll have a car with great performance and one of the best diesel engines out there.
    Yeah but saving 30 quid a month would cost me £100 a month to buy it, plus extra insurance, not exactly the same when you saving for a wedding too, missus would kill me lol

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    I know it sounds horrible but you can get a 1.9 120 vectra for much less than an astra. Veccys depreciate much faster than astras.

Have a look at the MPG on the 1.6 petrol turbo. I have no idea what it is but it may not be far off.

When I was driving Irmschers 1.9CDTI 150 I realised I get more mpg from driving my 1.6 16v Astra G and I was treating it with kid gloves as well.

jam
    Its a jam thing

Haec credam a deo pio, a deo justo, a deo scito?

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    hey the missus is for life, the car's just for the short term. your missus has plenty of time to get over it and to forgive you, whereas the car may not
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast