Thread: Mk5 - Best tyres for Standard 15" Alloys

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Mk5 - Best tyres for Standard 15" Alloys

I have a Mk5 (54 plate), its a Club and has standard alloys and standard tyres that it came with (not very exciting, I know). The original tyres on it were Bridgestone B250 (196/65 R15T). When my front tyres needed replace 25k miles back I just got them to put on another set of B250s as the first set has lasted well. Car is now on 50k and i need 4 new tyres. I am happy with the B250s but I also see that the B390s are equivilant and not sure what is best, or if I should look ag other makes.

Sorry for the boring post, but just wondering if anyone can recommend some tyres or speak from experience. I have got a quote for £240, for 4 B250s fitted, so would grudge paying more than £280.

Thanks
    The Griffmaster

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I like Bridgestones too, but really the B-series are a pretty basic tyre.

The best tyre you can get at that size has to be the Goodyear Hydragrip. Very good tyre, and won the Auto Express tyre test last year. The're about £45 each. My old boss used them on his 320d, got good miles out of them despite towing trailers all the time.

If you want to stick with Bridgestone, the Turanza ER300 is available in that size too, and they're a good lasting tyre. My housemate got 40k out of a pair on the front of his Mk4, same size. He drives like something possessed too. Again, you shouldn't be paying any more than £47-ish for those.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks, I just feel that the tyres have lasted very well (never had a puncture on any of the 6 B250s - I will get a puncture later knowing my luck). I found it hard to get good comparisons on tyre reviews as there does not seem to be many sites out there that compare normal tyres (its is usually the high end, low profile tyres that get reviewed). What I don't understand is why the 'B' tyres are the roughly same price as the superior 'Turanza' model.

I feel a loyality to Bridgestone as they have never let me down yet, but I read that the 'B' from Bridgestone classed as summer (dry) tyres where as the goodyear is all round (dry and wet), not sure if it makes any difference. Still unsure.
    The Griffmaster

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The B-series are pretty much original fit only, where the Turanza and Potenza tend to be the more common on the replacement market.

Really, if you want to stick to Bridgestone, then the ER300 is your tyre. I've used them, and I know a few folks who have also used them, and they've had no problems at all.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Firestone TZ200 have done me well, little bit cheaper than bridgestones etc but I think you'd be hard pressed to notive a difference when driving.